Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Hubs to Manual Warn Premiums ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by opfor2, Feb 15, 2003.

1. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

Hi All,

OK, I'm really, really, really confused now. I did a search on "Warn Manual Hubs" and I read a lot of postings that state that you DON'T need a conversion kit when replacing the automatic hubs with the Warn manual hubs. However, according to the Warn web page it reads " When replacing automatic 3 hole cap screw hubs with manual hubs, you must purchase corresponding spindle nut conversion kit per application chart." So what's the truth ? I would like to replace the auto's on my stock 1990 Blazer ASAP and really don't want to spend any more $$$ than necessary.

thanks in advance for the help.

Dan....

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

No need for the conversion kit. I believe your auto's should be a 5 or 6 bolt cap anyways. Slide out the auto's, and slide in the manuals.

3. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

You don't need anything. You simply will remove the whole hub assembly and replace it. So even if it has 5 holes now, it will work if the hubs you are buying have 6 since the whole thing is being changed out.....

4. bigbluek20

bigbluek20 1/2 ton status

You don't have to have the kits, just the hubs.

What the kit gets you is new outer shafts. These shafts have the snap ring groove correct... with the stock shafts (from auto hubs) the groove is too far in for the hubs and you are only able to use the outer ring. The hub will seem a little loose after the install.

The looseness isn't too bad on the premiums but is a bit extreme feeling on the regulars (just grab the whole hub and try to move it... its obvious).

Now, that said, I never had a problem with the premiums on the old 10 bolt. My dad has had standards on his 10 bolt for probably 15 years... not a lick of trouble, over 200k on the truck, probably 150k with those hubs.