Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

AUTO HUBS?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by CHEVY 4WD, Feb 19, 2003.

1. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

What is so bad about them I really need hubs this weekend and I could get a free set of almost new auto hubs Im going from a warn super premium is there anything I need to change besides the hub and the cover?

2. dheavychevy38

dheavychevy38 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Everything should be there but auto hubs under heavy torque will snap

3. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

Well they really only gotta last 1 day /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Do they always enguage right?

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That is one of the problems with them.. You never really know if they do engage...

5. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    That is one of the problems with them.. You never really know if they do engage...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Can 1 enguage and 1 not?

6. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

yes that can happen with manual hubs if only one side is locked but if your out locking them you know they are both workin unless they break.. I have seen the autos blow out quite a few times and i have yet to see a manual do that but im sure oneday i might. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

7. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Can 1 enguage and 1 not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes and they could both not engage and you would think they are. That'll get you into trouble..

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

They really like to not work when they get cold. I had mine not work when I was pulling out my boat. iwasnt at the ramp, and got stuck. I went home and bought some manuals /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Auto hubs aren't worth the metal what you could get selling them for scrap. I had a set I used for spares on my D60. When I broke a hub, I put on my auto's while the others got warrantied. Then I got caught in a huge rainstorm while I was out doing light wheeling. I needed 4wd to get back up a SLICK hill...I didn't have it. The auto's would try to lock and just shockload my stubshafts. I had to winch up the entire hill. When I got my manual hubs back, they wouldn't go on because the splines on my stubs shafts were now twisted and the Warn Prems made much more contact with the stubs than the autos. Bottom line: they cost me the $$ to upgrade to 35 spline stubs and hubs.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

I'll just give you my personal feeling on them and let you decide from there. I had them on my 89 when I bought it. Everyone told me that you never really knew when they were engaged and when they weren't. They always seemed to work fine for me. I was heading to work one morning down the turnpike when they locked, at 80mph. The shock that that gave my entire truck almost ended the truck and me. It blew every u-joint, bearing, and seal in my truck and sent my sliding meadium out of control.

Bad deal. I know times are tough and money is tight, but I'd not go anywhere before I had to run auto's again.

My $0.02

11. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

Another questions, if I put auto hubs on my 10 bolt, will they fit when I upgrade to 1 ton gear? Or will I have to buy all new ones?