Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Industry is kinda sad these days

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tiger9297, Oct 24, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Was talking with my dad over the weekend and he always seems to have a story about his old '56 Ford car, His father's old Chevrolet truck, or an old Pontiac or Mercury one of his friends had. Even my grandparents generation seemed to take great pride in their automobiles. My wife's grandfather left her a '52 Ford Customline that he bought brand new. We still have this car which he affectionately named "Maybeline". I was thinking back on some of the prestigious "luxury" cars like the Cadillac of course, but also the Buick Roadmaster. It just seems like people had more pride in their cars back then. Not a "mine is better than yours" or a "keeping up with the Jones" kind of way like today, but just pride in owning a car. I guess maybe because there was more American pride back then too with WWI, and WWII being either present or in the not so distant past. Can you imagine your grandfather driving a Nissan or a Toyota? :crazy: Think about your grandfather being on a ship in Pearl Harbor during the day of the attack and then seeing tons of Japanese cars on American Highways. I know this is kind of rambling but I guess I really wish it was like that now. I think the imports have taken a great deal of pride out of owning a car while at the same time taking away from good ole american pride. Cars today, even though they are insanely expensive, seem to be kind of "disposable". Nothing like old American Iron.

2. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Or...maybe because it wasn't as common place. Nowadays there are a lot more 16 year olds driving around in cars bought for them by their parents. back then, you usually bought your own. That'll affect the pride you have in it greatly, just like if you built your truck, you know?

3. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

yup, it's sad. Nobody gives a crap about their vehicle anymore. I bought all my own, and while they're not the nicest I sure don't abuse them. I was VERY priveliged to drive my dad's '73 pickup with rust all over it, and I took great pride in fixing that up even though it wasn't mine at the time!
    I had my cousin, after being disgusted that I would by some old army truck deuce and a half ask if I only worked on "old stuff", did I "trick up" any new cars? What the hell? There's no tricks involved in my projects, tricks are for kids!

I've seen so many people, mostly teens, driving beat to heck NEW cars, like a couple years old. I don't get it. Maybe if they tear it up enough they get a new one from their parents?

Cars in my family have a way of being passed around, just to squeeze the last possible use out of them. No way anything leaves our family unless it's got so many miles it costs more to fix than keep (which is rare), and we can't find parts.
    My uncle has gone so far as to ship my grandfather's old '69 Chevy 750 miles away to his daughter so her and her husband could have a parts truck.

It's sad that technology has come so far that engineers can design a part to self destruct after a certain amount of use. You ever notice today's cars all fall apart after a certain point? And that's no accident, it's common to hear that from the auto industry, they engineer a certain lifespan into a vehicle for reasons like "keeping costs down" keeping material use to a minimum" "keeping our consumers safe (apparently driving an old car is unsafe)"

My parents' Mazda 929 self destructed after 100,000 miles on the dot, EVERYTHING started breaking. Well, I got news for them, we'll keep driving it as long as there are donor cars at Pick and Pull. Doubt I'll ever buy a brand new car, a couple years old is the newest I'd go and there just isn't a DANG thing I'd want from a new truck or car. :( Why can't they just keep making the old iron, oh wait, I know why, cause then they'd stop making money because nobody would buy a new piece of junk!

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I agree with that. My dad and I restored a '74 Vette when I was in high school so I love Corvettes, and I love the new ones with 505 HP :saweet:
    However, other than a new Corvette I can honestly say that there is not one new car/truck that REALLY gets my attention. On the flip side, I see old iron sitting in weeds and behind people's houses that I would love to have.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm the same way.

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

It does my heart good to hear there are like minded people out there, that love the old stuff just cause it is. :bow:

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm the same way, whenever we go out for long rides, my eyes are roving through people's yards for some neglected piece of American Beauty that's just waiting for someone to come by and make an offer on it...

I think maybe it's actually a mental illness... :D

8. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I think it very well may be a mental illness. If you can find a cure, my wife would greatly appreciate it. :1zhelp:

9. monster man

monster man 1/2 ton status

I've got my eye on no less than ten vehicles around town that I see frequently just wasting away, and once I clear space out I'm going to ask about them selling. There's an M109 deuce shop van sitting on the side of a guy's house for years on a flat tire or three that I'd really like for a good price......

10. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I'vebeen watching a 70 T-Bird for 2 years now. Finally talked to the owner. I am second in line for it. If the first guy doesn't get it within 30 days it is mine. The car has 41K on it, but has been outside for bout 20 years. It does have the 429 Thunder Jet motor. Can you say cruiser????

11. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm with ya. maybe we need to start doing it. wait!! i think we are with our trucks. :D i look at my super duty and think cool, but when i look at JR i think HELL YEAH. i love that truck, i've owned id 14 years. :bow:

12. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm an "old ironholic" too...

I love the older cars and trucks..everything today is forigen,or looks ghey or phoney..no style or class in most of todays vehicles,they all look like jelly beans,or shoeboxes..
    .. todays cars have no durability--you could overheat a car ten times in days of old,and never hurt it--now if you let it peg the needle once,a head gasket is blown,or the head or block cracks..and fixing one is a nightmare--a maize of computrized electronics,and NO room to work on it under the hood..and poor designs mean many parts have to be removed to replace the only bad one..(ever have to pull an exhaust manifold and brake booster off,just to swap a starter??)... :doah:

I see kids here 16 years old with brand new Mustang GT's..a graduation present from mommy and daddy..or a Lexus,or a BMW..and a cellphone to annoy other drivers with to boot.. :surepal:

Gone are the days of kids actually working to buy their own car,as I had to --I paid 150 bucks for my first car,a 63 VW beetle--took me a year of mowing lawns and doing chores to pay for it!..I did beat the car up some,but not as bad as I would have if someone else was paying the repair bills!--and I had to just about rebuilt the whole thing,and did all my own work on it too..nobody fixed it FOR me,I had to do it..

Sadly,around here you don't see hardly any vehicles older than the 80's anynmore--and there is no more "vintage tin" sitting is weeds or behind houses,or in barns..the barns have been torn down,the farms sold off to greedy developers for condo's and house lots,and the few surviving vehicles that hadn't completely rotted away have been hauled off to the crusher and cashed in,now that scrap is 80 bucks a ton,or sold off in Hemmings or E-bay--

Very little old iron remains in my area..the few older cars still around are owned by folks like us,who saved an older Camaro or Chevelle,or older truck,and you see them only at car shows and rarely on hot summer nights,when they have a "cruise" night..other than that,they are only a memory for the most part here..

I about cried when the owner shut down the junkyard I worked at,and crushed all the 50's Packards and Lincolns,and all the other older stuff--the place was like a museum more than a junkyard..all the cars our fathers and grandfathers drove were there..I feel bad for the kids who will never see them in person,only in a movie or a museum will you see what "real" cars and trucks used to be..guys used to bring their kids there on saturdays,just to show them a car "just like the one I had"...its all a memory now..gone forever.. :frown1:

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

new cars, like so many other things these days, are disposable... run em into the ground, get a new one...

sometimes i wish i looked at em as "just transportation" like so many do... its not in me, i'm a gearhead... ;)

14. Cruz89K5

Cruz89K5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Same way with me, I cant help looking at every old Chevy truck I pass and think "With a little work..." no matter how much rust it has or what it's missing, the truck has potential. My 300zx and PSD are nice, but if I could get good mileage out of the K5 it would be my DD, no doubt about it.

15. gauder

gauder Banned

One good thing about the technology coming out is that you can get some good mileage and power out of the new FI motors. The new for 2007 GM SUV's are supposedly the most fuel efficient ever with the displacement on demand technology. 380 hp will ensure they get out of their own way too.

I do appreciate older iron more though, I have a 1956 chevy 2 door 150 wagon that I'm also working on. It's a mess now, but won't be when I'm done.