Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Ins. Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by zcarczar, Nov 20, 2005.

1. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

So my dumb ass decided to wreck my truck last week, im 19 have a perfect driving record except for my at-fault accident. I have had my liscence for 4 years in March when I turn 20, so how much does everyone think my insurance is going to go up? I pay roughly $100 a month for my silverado and samurai with my mom on the policy with me, from looking online it looks like its going to increase $70 a month for me, but for some reason I thought an insurance company couldn't increase your rates while you were locked into a policy with them, but what do i know. So basically im asking what is your experience with wrecks and auto insurance increases?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ha they can inscrease it all they like. Don't remember how much mine went up for my at fault accidents. I was younger at the time so it hurt me more then. It might not be too bad being the age you are. My insurance went down when I turned 20.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i'm glad it will be 11 years before i have to worry about my son on my ins. :laugh: :laugh: when i got my first truck i paid $450 a month. :yikes: thats what i looked like when i got the bill.i was young and dumb and full of cum.the truck payment was only $259. :laugh: :laugh:

4. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Depends on the company...some will not raise your rates...others will pay for it then deny you further coverage. Won't know till they decide, ya know?

5. painterbccc

painterbccc Registered Member

hold on tight

My son was 17 and flipped his truck.Total loss. He was at fault. We were expecting the worse. He was on my policy. I pay my ins. every three months. The first bill after he wrecked, they put him on high risk. Went up $40.00. The next time it went back down. But I'd be ready for anything. Anymore they know you got to have it. So they got you, Nothing you can do except pay it and go on. Might have to get a part time job to pay the differance. That was 50 hours a week you were just going to use for sleep no problem. :mad:

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

After my at-fault accidents (and a speeding ticket, all before 19...), my insurance pretty much doubled. Just before I left for boot camp in '93, I was paying almost $300/mo for insurance alone....

7. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

My insurance company, nationwide, has a first time accident forgiveness policy. maybe yours does too, so it may not cost you anything. If they have no such poilcy, they can increase your rates whenever they want by how much they want.

I had to get my own seperate policy from my parents when I got my license, so if I killed somebody, they wouldn't lose their house by being named as a co defendant in any lawsuit I might become involved in and lose.

speaking in general terms on the subject, I think parents who allow their kids to be on the car insurance with them are playing with fire. not to mention It's a good incentive to get a job and teaches them to appreciate their vehicles.

one last thing.. if your insurance premiums do go up, just increase your deductible. your premiums will come right back down.

Tom

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I hate insurance..

Here,if you live in your parents home,no matter what your age is,you have to be listed on their policy (and they on yours as well!)--even if you never intend to drive their vehicle(s),and you own your own!.. :screwy: ..its the law,for watever reason..probably because teens could smash up mom or dad's car,and the parents would claim responsibilty,saying they were driving,to avoid paying astronomical insurance bills from having an underage driver at the wheel..nice our laws look out for the insurance companies profit,not the consumers ability to pay... :mad:

I've never had any major crashes or accidents,only "fender benders",all but one of which they hit ME,not the other way around--so I can't say how the insurance company will respond..my guess is they will bend you over and won't use vaseline.... :doah:

I wish I could "suspend" my coverage for a few months,or over the winter,while I try to get employed and back on my feet..I don't plan on driving my C10 or the Ford much this winter,my 82 K20 will be the main "ride" during salt and snow season,or my mothers caravan,which is starting to rot out big time on the doors..my K20 sat most of the summer and fall--put about 100 miles on it!.another waste of cash..they should have "seasonal" or "ocaisional use" plates for guys like me..it sucks having to keep all 3 registered and insured ALL the time,when each is used for a specific purpose only once in a while,none are really "everyday" drivers.. :cool:

Its a costly pain in the ass to cancel plates,and have to buy new ones in the spring,and start a new insurance policy again, if you decide to let a vehicle take the winter off..and it sucks to just pay the money and not drive it too..currently I pay 140 bucks a month for all 3,for compulsory coverage,with "fire and theft" on the Ford..not that expensive IF I had a job--but a huge expense when I'm basically living off odd jobs and cashing in cans and scrap metal to survive lately..

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mine went up $25 a month with an at faulty accident (too fast to stop in a sure clear distance). its gone down a little each year since then. right now my insurance is $50 a month with 2 no seat belt tickets and the accident. the accident drops off next october.