Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto insurance

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MrArmyAnt, Mar 16, 2007.

1. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Texas, Kick a$$! (Grapevine, DFW; also Norman, OK)
    What's the cheapest liability out there? Its for wheeling pretty much only, just need some insurance in case I get pulled over on the way there. I also don't own anyhting else (its all in families name) so if I am in a wreck and there is a law suit they wont get much. Any recomendations? If I'm about to buy a k5 to i get insurance before or after buying it? I have to drive it here from where I'm driving it from.

2. onlychevy6

onlychevy6 1/2 ton status

mercury insurance

3. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

In Mich, you have to have insurance before you can plate it.
    You can probably go down to 10K liability, but of course they'll recommend 100K,300K

4. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Go to progressive.com type in all your info and you can select the lowest premiums to get a ballpark figure...

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

It really depends, it is all different from zip code to zip code, driver from driver...

The company I use was cheapest for me, but crazy priced for someone else of around the same age.....just have to shop around.

6. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Wow, doing it as a farm vehicle cuts the price in half, 55 a month for 500 in medical and some other stuff. Tried storage, but seems like farm ismore accurate as we own farms... 55 a month decent? I'm 20 april 16th, and the normal leasure price seems to be 200 130 a month.

I'll have to see if farmers has that farm option, they were lowest for me overall with the leaure pleasure vehicle.

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

be careful, when its farm only can you drive it on the street?

8. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

nope. still hase collison comprehensive, etc. just means vehicle is primarily a ranch vehicle. still has road privlages, just as "long time storage" which is same price. we have farms though and i plan to not only use it but use it on farms. so ergo, farm insurance.

9. Col_Sanders

Col_Sanders 3/4 ton status

My uncle has a K5 registered for farm use and he drives it quite a bit around Dallas. Just keep some crap in the back and if questioned, you had to get supplies.

As for price, that is pretty good. Insurance for me on my Blazer was around 110 /month when I was your age and living in Dallas. Be sure to get it from a reputable place. Nothing like paying insurance for months and not having a real policy or a company that will be there.

10. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I am paying $71/month (after rate increase:rolleyes: ) for liability only on the '89 Burb, this also a primary vehicle, and i live in a metro city. Thinkin about switching back over to full coverage, with as many people we have out here, and ALOT of them don't have insurance, always a red-light runner in the crowd, and EVERYBODY is in a hurry to get in front of you, if it gets demolished in a wreck, i am pretty much screwed for transportation at the moment.

Just got a quote the other day for the '81 C-20, they said recreational use only, liability would be about $50/month..

11. MrArmyAnt

MrArmyAnt 1/2 ton status

Yeah I did a norman, ok quote as its where I am most of the time (once a texan always a texan tho). The quote was through progressive, so I think I am good.

12. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

If you're military or dependent, I recommend USAA. I pay $280 and change every 6 months for liability on three vehicles (K5, cavalier, and a honda).