Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto-locking hub sounds like a ratchet?!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5on38s, Jan 17, 2003.

1. K5on38s

K5on38s Registered Member

ok i just finished puttin gears in my front axle, i put everythig back together and im drive it down the street and my front hubs sound like ratchets, and when i back up the front axle starts to make a clunking noise and the truck jerks . (having smaller front tires wouldn't cause this would it? (i have the smaller tires on so i could move it back to my house unitl i get my new rims and tires,) /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif/forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. K5on38s

anyone know who on here i could ask??

3. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

ok. heres what you do. replace them with Warns and throw the auto lockers in the trash can. my auto lockers did the same thing to me. but it would come and go. i would be on the freeway and the passenger side hub would engage. it sounds kind of like a zipper un zipping right? its scary!!! i took them apart and they looked fine but they still never worked right. do you have $60 in the bank? if so then swap them. i really like the manual hubs, they are a lot stronger and more reliable and cheaper. i think pep boys stocks them if theres one near you. anyways good luck.

4. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

This might help, mine were doing the same thing after i repacked the bearings. I put to much grease on the autolocking parts, they just need a slight coating to keep them working properly. Yes, they still have problems locking and unlocking. I usually have to put back into 4X4 run a hundred feet or so and then back-up about 50. Eventully going to put manuals on.

5. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

warn premiums are da bomb!, auto hubs should only be legal on explorers!

6. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

like ducttape said, throw them away! Had them on my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif and they would lock in (kinda, they would make the ratcheting noise) and not unlock even if I backed up, spun in circles, and prayed to the locking hub god /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. Then with a sudden and harsh thud they would randomly unlock /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. We are now beginning to have the same problems with our /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif so that is the next purchase for it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. blazen_md

blazen_md 1/2 ton status

The very first thing I did to my /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif was take the autos off and throw them as far as I could /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif then I put some warn manuals on. Don't mess around with the autos.

8. K5on38s

Hmm this is a pretty tough one lol, i guess im gonna g"et me some of them there manual thingy-ma-jiggers"
    But basicly what is the noise? the hubs tryin to engage/disengage? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif (this way i can tell future newbies what auto locking hubs are good for: hammers, hockey pucks, dead weight etc,etc,etc. But thank you all for the info? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. schmuck

schmuck 1/2 ton status

dump them asap

10. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have same problem on stepdad's 82 K-10 sohrty, his auto lock hubs are junk and he wont agree and they keep making this noise alot and screwing up and he keeps sticking by them trying to clean them and defend them saying cuz he doesnt like to get out to lock in manual hubs, not much more i can do to help him, he will learn eventually i suppose..... im done trying, i cant help him any more, and im afraid to drive the truck anymore cuz of this happening,

good luck

11. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

The first time he actually *needs* 4wd he'll learn /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm one of the (millions?) of poster children for "auto hubs suck" mine failed me when I needed them, and that was with proper maintenance, "exercise", etc.

I, unlike some, just went to the 'yard and got stock Spicer hubs ($10 or something at the time) from a Chev K10, and haven't had a problem with them since, about 8 years.

12. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

with smaller tires in the front, and the t-case in 4wd, on pavement... something will blow up. you didnt put it in 4wd did you..... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

RYan