Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto locking hubs not sliding in

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jeff l, Jun 16, 2006.

1. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

I changed my rear axle to a 14 bolt 8 lug. My front is still good i don't have the money to rebuild my front doner 3/4 ton axle. So i regeared my rear 14 bolt to 3.73, and changed out the outers from the front 3/4 doner

My problem is I am using the 1/2 ton auto locking hubs on the 3/4 roter/hub.
    got one side on and the other side will not slide on far enough to put the ring in.

thanks, Jeff
    1986 FS Jimmy (my truck)
    1981 14 bolt 9.5 ring SF (Doner)

2. blackblazer717

blackblazer717 1/2 ton status

i say ditch the auto locking hubs and get a nice set of warns or mile markers... the auto hubs are dumb... IMO

LUKE

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Sounds like one of two things. Either the axle stub isn't sticking through far enough (in which case, just push it from the back side) or your pinned washer that rides on the inner nut isn't seated in one of the holes.
    The second one is the most common reason for not being able to get a locking hub in place.

4. jeff l

jeff l 1/2 ton status

checked that more then once; ended up being the last 1/4" of the hub was out of round I could see it was a little dented on one part. I ended up useing a Drillmal with a grinding wheel to it; after a little bit of grinding the auto- locking hub fit.

Thanks 1st time doing this and needed all the help I could get,
    Jeff