Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto locking hubs true or false

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sting, Oct 26, 2000.

1. sting

sting Registered Member

Some one told that if I change my auto locking hubs to manuel that I will get better fuel milage
    and it will get rid of the strange clicking noise ....?

2. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

I can't think of why the gas mileage would improve. If the auto hubs are working, the front shafts aren't turning in 2wd. Maybe the manuals are stronger or more reliable?

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I have heard that also. I did have auto's on mine and switched to manuals, but I dont check my gas mileage.

i would change just for piece of mind that the manuals will ork when you want them to!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

4. Chewy

Chewy 1/2 ton status

I don't think the gas mileage would improve because in either case the front axel is not turning in 2W. Emmettology 101 is right about the security, its nice knowing that you are not going to slip out of 4W.

[​IMG] '87 Beast
    Colorado, USA

5. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

6. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I dont know about slipping out of 4WD but mine never both engaged at the same time, and I would still be stuck, but with a nice clicking sound to listen to.

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

8. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I changed over my Burben hubs and I felt a large difference in the way it drove. I also don't think they were disengaging thou.

And yes ,auto hubs will disengage in 4x. I heard a story of a Bronco that in sand ,had to back up and when he went to go forward his hubs disengaged and he sunk the rear. After being pulled out of the sand, they worked great.
    blazen91

9. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

I changed over my Burben hubs and I felt a large difference in the way it drove. I also don't think they were disengaging thou.

And yes ,auto hubs will disengage in 4x. I heard a story of a Bronco that in sand ,had to back up and when he went to go forward his hubs disengaged and he sunk the rear. After being pulled out of the sand, were he could drive forword, they worked great.
    blazen91

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Here's the scoop. Autolocking hubs are just that, they lock you in when you engage four wheel drive. They unlock when you shift out of 4 wheel drive and back up. Therefor, you won't get any better miliage UNLESS they don't disengage. Clicking, if they are wearing out, yep, they'll click. If you had FULL TIME hubs, switching to manual will net you some gas miliage increase, but a parttime kit should be installed at the same time into the transfercase. Personally, I think autolocking hubs came straight from the firey pits of HELL!! Once they wear out (GM STATES THIS HAPPENS AT AROUND 50,000 MILES) They start causing problems. For instance, Mine locked on me at 80 MPH and caused some rather nasty issues. Other stories of them failing to lock or unlock are not uncommon. Mine finally gave up the ghost at 150,000 miles. If I would have known, I would have changed them when I bought the truck. I suggest to anyone that has them, invest in a good set of quality locking hubs and get rid of them. They are not worth the convenince that they offer. IMHO.

Just my $0.02

Kyle
    89K5