Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto or Manual Trans

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rickmack1, Apr 15, 2004.

1. rickmack1

rickmack1 Registered Member

Whats better?
    Automatic Or Standard?
    That is the question! /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Uhhhhhhhhhhh, for what type of driving?

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What do you prefer? That's your answer. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

This an age old question that has caused many a heated debate on these boards.

I love my auto.I dont ever see myself swapping it out for a manual /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. rickmack1

rickmack1 Registered Member

Not a daily driver. It's 39.5 boggers, 10" lift, built for show n go. I'm able to trade my 400 turbo and 205 transfer case for a 4 speed manual with same transfer case. I like standard trans because of durability but I just want to get other opinions about this option.

6. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

I prefer manual. All my work trucks have the 3spd + low gear. I think a manual is just more durable and dependable. I've limped a manual tranny home with everything from no 1st or second gear to no clutch. It does take a bit of practice to shift without a clutch I will admit but try driving that auto tranny home with a fragged torque converter. Then there is also the advantage of the pop start if the battery goes dead for some dumb reason. A manual is far less tempramental with heat...at worst usually you'll burn up a clutch before hurting the tranny internals and a clutch is relatively easy to replace compared to rebuilding a tranny that overheated.

so umm...I like the manual.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I perfer manual because that's what my dad taught me on, but I have a auto in my blazer, and manual in my Jimmy, so it's all about what kind of 'wheeling you do. If its show and go like you said then I dont think it matters. personal preferance I guess is the big thing.

8. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

I like my manual. But if I had a 400/205 set up I think I would stick with that.

9. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

If I had a 400/205 I'd keep it, but since I don't I'm swapping in a 465/205 with 32 splines and a hydraulic clutch to power my 39.5" Bogger with 5.13 gears. I'll need all the gear I can get with a stock TBI 350 and dual lockers /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

10. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I like my auto for a couple reasons. The torque converter makes use of higher gears possible, and I ran out of money before gears. I have less pedals to work with when wheeling. But of course its ultimately going to be your decision, so get what you feel comfortable driving with /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Standard all the way. So many advantages compared to an auto. Cheap to buy and last forever. Mucho coolness factor. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif Automatic transmissions are the DEVIL. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

standard!

13. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I like my auto for a couple reasons. The torque converter makes use of higher gears possible, and I ran out of money before gears. I have less pedals to work with when wheeling. But of course its ultimately going to be your decision, so get what you feel comfortable driving with /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd take the 6.33:1 low gear of a manual over the maybe 2:1 torque converter. Luckily I have EEE feet so I can work the clutch and brake at the same time for those tricky places /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    I'd take the 6.33:1 low gear of a manual over the maybe 2:1 torque converter.

[/ QUOTE ]
    it's 6.55:1 and 7.02:1 for the SM420 (I think) What's the most you'll get with a torque converter in first gear? Maybe a 3:1 first gear and 2:1 for the TC making it a 5:1? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    it's 6.55:1 and 7.02:1 for the SM420 (I think) What's the most you'll get with a torque converter in first gear? Maybe a 3:1 first gear and 2:1 for the TC making it a 5:1? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Generally, you multiply the ratios together. That would give you 6:1.

16. TruckNutzDude

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Generally, you multiply the ratios together. That would give you 6:1.

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're right, I either slipped or forgot how to do math /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

17. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Full reverse manual valvebody with compression braking and pushbutton lockup in a 4L80 is the way to go in my opinion.

I'm not going to complain about my 700R4, loose torque converter, and NP208 though. AKA poor man's doubler.

I wouldn't complain about having a SM465 or SM420 either, especially in a trail vehicle.

I'd never put a TH350 or NP203 in any vehicle though. In my opinion TH350s are for station wagons and NP203s are for boat anchors. I wouldn't replace a 700R4 or SM465/SM420 with a TH400 either but I also wouldn't complain too much about it.

It is all based on personal preference. However, the first thing in the list is the Grand Master as far as I'm concerned. It even beats the NV5600 in my book.

18. tucsonkfive

tucsonkfive 1/2 ton status

Call me lazy but I love my auto. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

19. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

auto. the lady likes to wheel, and she can't hit the brakes withoput a 2x4 strapped to the pedal. no way she could handle a clutch too

20. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Ya lazy bastid! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I like to row ma own gears...SM465!