Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto or Manual?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OLD DAWG, Jul 23, 2004.

1. OLD DAWG

OLD DAWG 1/2 ton status

I'm getting started on my "72" project vehicle. Current plans are BB, 1 ton axles, slightly increased lift, hogged out wheel wells,40"+ tires etc. I'm currently debating between an auto or manual trans. It already has an auto in it but I do like the granny low of a 465. I also wheel sometimes in areas where it can be difficult/hazardous to use a clutch/brake/&gas at the same time. I would like to use a transfer case doubler/LRU of some sort as well.
    Plus my wife says I better do it right the first time.
    Any comments or suggestions? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif Thanks, Doug

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

I do light wheelin' and I prefer auto. My brother-in-law has a standard, and everytime we wheel together I remember why I don't want a manual. Course I hate the auto when it comes to steep downhill situations, but a doubler will help with that.

Here's a link to a recent post with the same debate.

3. pvfjr

pvfjr 1/2 ton status

Go with a manual. You can't beat the reliability of a 465. Plus, you can rig up a hand throttle pretty easily, so you don't need three feet. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Use a shift lever from an old bicycle. That would also let you set your engine speed up if you're ever winching or giving someone a jump.