Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto or manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by shaun, Nov 25, 2003.

1. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Alright I have 2 sm465's in my garage. One mated to a dana 20 (nice little t-case) the other mated to a 205. My question is which would be better a 465 or a automatic (700r4 or t400) I am open to all ideas. It will be a rock crawlin truck so the low low first in the 465 will be nice but it will also play alot in the sand since that is where i am stuck living. But all in all it has to handle it all comfortably (i want a nice trail rig) This is going into a 71 k5 with a 350. Any opinions would be nice. And maybe some pros and cons to either. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i have an sm465 and a 208, i love it, the 465 is a fairly easy daily driveable transmission as far as im concerned and the low first gear is kickass for when ya gotta creepy crawl..

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

If its a rock crawler, id go w/ sm465. Now if you are runnin mud and such like i am, i think id still rather have the slushbox. Plus, slushbox is easier on your leg in stop and go driving.

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i hate to see 465 wasted, i love them over any other tranny, even for daily driving in which i do right now again, finally,

but it all depends on what you want, do you want extra gearing multiplication or daily driving pavement, or ?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The cool thing about a 465 is you can have a super low crawl ratio with highway capable rear gears. I wouldn't trade mine for any slushbox, although there are definitely times I'd consider it. Only way to even think about equaling the crawling performance of a 465 with an auto is with super low gears, a doubler, or both.

I think a 465 with a doubler would be pretty sweet. You could be in all lows and shift through the gears, crawlin' the whole time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif