Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto or manul?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by screamer*145, Dec 1, 2003.

1. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

ok! I am pretty sure this has come up many times but to be honest it takes me longer to do a search because I will get task and start reading other post! but my main cause is auto trans. ro standerd trans. what would be better for my need. all I really do with the truck is mud and hill climbs realy so any posts are great! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

auto

Rene

3. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

I have the same question. I have a 465, and a t350 in my garage and dont know which to put in. I am trying to find a 700r4 but until then which is better? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. screamer*145

Why a 700r4

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

If you have to ask, auto.

Some of us are born to grind our own gears, and always will have that in us. But most can't handle the power of a stick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

Out of all the autos it has the lowest 1rst and gives you a .70 final gear. so when I am running 4.88's or possible 5.13's (i doubt it) it will almost be like a t350 with 4.11's. Lets me keep my higher speeds (which I will probably never use) and since I make bi weekly trips from reno to the san fran area to see my women it will help with mileage.

7. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

Re: auto or manual?

it all depends on what your doing. you say mud and hill climbs but what kind of mud? mud pits and mud bogs or just muddy trails? hills? what kind? sand dunes? dirt trail hills? muddy hills? for deep mud like mud pits or mud bogs id say an auto would be better for the simple fact that you need to keep the wheel speed up with a manual you lose that wheel speed when you step on the clutch to shift. an auto is better because if you start bogging down you can just manually shift it down and you don't have the clutch to stop the wheel speed. hill climbing is the same thing if its sand you would be better with an auto. if its just dirt steep hills then the granny first is unbeatable. not to mention the sm465 manual is damn near indestructible /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Dont ya just love these types of questions?
    My response (when I even bother to respond) is that you should install whatever makes you happy. A transmission is one of those things that is ALL personal preference. How do you want to drive your rig? Do you want to shift gears? Or do you want it to be done for you? Thats all it boils down to. Depending on the driver, a standard tranny can be driven better, easier, faster, and accomplish just as much as an auto. By the same token, you can modify an auto to be stronger, lower geared 1st, run cooler, and even shift it manually. You can dang near make a std perform like an auto, or you can make an auto perform like a std. Its all what YOU want in YOUR own truck.

That being said, I went from a TH350, to a TH700R4, to a TH400, to a SM465 and I will never, ever, ever, ever (ever infinity) go back to an auto. But thats my preference. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, dont ask me what color you should paint your truck... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mike

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

Auto all the way, my 465 is nice, but id rather have a th350 or th400 so i could be more at ease while driveing. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif since my truck sees more street then mud.

10. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

465!!!!! ESECIALLY FOR MUD!! being as it is, basically setup as a 3 speed, there is PLENTY of wheel spin avaible in 2nd (or first if you will) gear. tough as nails. . . not gonna break one anytime soon.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have to ask, auto.

Some of us are born to grind our own gears, and always will have that in us. But most can't handle the power of a stick. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Honestly though, while I prefer manual, it's a matter of personal preference. Either will work. Driver is a much more important factor.

12. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Dont ya just love these types of questions?
    My response (when I even bother to respond) is that you should install whatever makes you happy. A transmission is one of those things that is ALL personal preference. How do you want to drive your rig? Do you want to shift gears? Or do you want it to be done for you? Thats all it boils down to. Depending on the driver, a standard tranny can be driven better, easier, faster, and accomplish just as much as an auto. By the same token, you can modify an auto to be stronger, lower geared 1st, run cooler, and even shift it manually. You can dang near make a std perform like an auto, or you can make an auto perform like a std. Its all what YOU want in YOUR own truck.

That being said, I went from a TH350, to a TH700R4, to a TH400, to a SM465 and I will never, ever, ever, ever (ever infinity) go back to an auto. But thats my preference. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, dont ask me what color you should paint your truck... /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]
    Mike, good advice and very well put. you should responde more offten...

im a die hard manual guy. autos and me dont live together. every auto i have had died a hard death.
    no, on a lighter note some manuals are not even for manual guys. i love the SM465 and 420. with them the nice low first(or low) gear is awesome. makes it so you can run 4.10 with 42 inch tires and drive it on the street. well, thats my theory anyway. BUT shifting an 465 or 420 is a LONG throw. quick shifts can be done and i have gotten fairly goot at it. but a NV4500 is a bit nicer to drive, with an overdrive and a nice low gear. this comes to a cost factor as well. pay to play. the thing with the NV4500 is if you set it up with a np241 you get fairly good gear reduction from the low inthe tranny and the low in the t-case plus an overdrive.

if i had the cash thats what i would do. but untill i win the lotto i like the 465/203 or 465/205 OR 465-203-205 combos the best.
    Grant

13. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I like my 465/241 combo- haven't wheeled it yet, but i did drive it with 3.73s, in granny/low with 39s and didn't near even 2 or 3mph. that should be MAJOR fun. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    I went from SM465 to TH400. right now the TH400 is built with hardened sprags, and a Allison converter. If I ever see the need to go nuts, I'll put a reverse manual valvebody and shift it manually.

15. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Mike, good advice and very well put. you should responde more offten...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, well... I have to stop myself from responding too much... I tend to get real sarcastic. I could make a lot of guys grouchy at me if I responded to everything I wanted to the way I wanted to! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for the vote tho! Hehe.

Mike

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Ya, well... I have to stop myself from responding too much... I tend to get real sarcastic. I could make a lot of guys grouchy at me if I responded to everything I wanted to the way I wanted to! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. screamer*145

Thanks guys for all the info, /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif so what is involved to do a auto to standerd swap, I still think that autos are nice though, I like the no loss of wheel spin shifts-also what would it take to make a auto a good contender. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Two places an auto will be 'better' IMHO, mud and hill climbs. In both situations if you lose momentum you will either be stuck or have to back down the hill. Trying to shift in the middle of a steep hillclimb or the middle of a pit is almost a gauranteed 'stuck'. If the majority of my wheeling was mud and hill climbs I'd swap the manual out for an auto.

Rene

19. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I went from SM465 to TH400. right now the TH400 is built with hardened sprags, and a Allison converter. If I ever see the need to go nuts, I'll put a reverse manual valvebody and shift it manually.

[/ QUOTE ]

What advantage does the allison converter afford you? Is it a dual stator converter?

-Dan

20. screamer*145

what do you guys think about a lock-up converter? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif