Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto parts gurus-I need to find a belt.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JDNobodi, May 4, 2007.

1. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have March Performance under-drive pulleys on my BBC, and I can’t find the proper belts for it. I have gone to the auto parts store three times, and I still haven’t found the right belt for the alternator. Parts stores are worthless if your application isn’t stock, and they couldn’t look it up on a computer.
    On the first try, I took cut stock belts and told the counter person at Car Quest to give me belts this long. He gave me belts that are too short.
    On the second try, I went to Kragen because it was Sunday and Car Quest was closed. This time I’ve staples to hold the ends of the belts together. The power steering belt came out okay. It could be a little shorter, but it fits. The alternator belt is the right length, but its too narrow, and its hitting the bottom of the pulley. It squeals like a banshee.
    I got the motor going and promptly blew the head gaskets. I then wallow in self pity. Sat on my ass. I pulled the motor, fixed it, sat on my ass, and reinstalled the motor. Then I blew up the rear end and replaced it.
    19 months after buying the second belt-I tried again at the other Car Quest store. So onto the . . .
    Third try, I gave the counter person the second belt and told him to give me one belt a little wider and one a little wider and longer. He gave me belts that are too wide.
    Somebody told me automotive belts have classifications like industrial belts, but different.
    The belts I have are . . .
    Car Quest/Gates, 9435 13A1105, 15/32" x 43 - 7/8", This belt is too wide.
    Car Quest/Gates, 9440 13A1120, ½" x 44 -3/8", This belt is too wide.
    Kragen, 43013 321, This belt is too narrow.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

13A1105
    13A1120

These are the useful numbers -- and a good parts store, local chain *NOT* nationwide would know this. Too bad you aren't local to me, I could turn you on to the greatest guy ... anyway.

13A belts are one particular flavour of V-belts; there are others. Check out McMaster-Carr or Grainger for details.

The 1105 and 1120 are the outside length in mm, i.e. 43.5" and 44" respectively.

Every 13A belt should be the same thickness and the same width; it may be just be variances in metric conversion that makes your listings differ.

HTH.

-- A

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you were closer i could have my guys hand you the correct belts in less than 2 minutes with you having your cut to length belts with you.

4. JDNobodi

JDNobodi 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I wished I knew what I did with those belts. Its been almost two years since I've started this project.

5. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If the belts are long gone you could always use a flexable tape measure and run it around the perimeter of the required pulleys and use that as a starting point. That will give you a fairly accurate length measurement.