Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Parts Stores

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Citizen Rider, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

I hate parts stores. I bought a blazer comin on 2 weeks ago. Ive spent the week and a half working on it putting a newish tranny in, radiator, headers, plugs, wires........ Im doing it all in my school autoshop. So i have 2 hours during school and what hours i can spend afterschool.

I got everything in, just got to make sure all fluids are full and install ujoints on driveshafts. Go to put ujoints on today. 2 go on fine. The final one looks big, but i started at it and it was too big. Crap. Go to autozone, say i need this one(All 3 where the same but gave me 2 of the right size) and get the new one. Go install and put rear shaft in, realize that there are no tabs on the pinion yoke to hold the caps on. So outter locks wont work. It needs inner locks. GRRR. Had to go see my girlfriend when she got outta school since her parents wouldnt be there to see me. After i go to autozone saying i need 2 inner locks and 2 outter locks. Look at me like im insane.

Go to a local auto and machine shop, they could get them for me, but would be here tomorrow night. Finally go to NAPA and tell them, they start looking around and find one hidden on a shelf. This is supposedly a rare ujoint that isnt used much. Wanted 23 for it. I only had 19. They took it.

3 hours of my time today was out getting the correct Ujoints. The final thing i needed until my blazer will move on its own.

:mad:

Ill have pics of it moving on its own tomorrow!:bow:

2. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Team Rape Van ? Nice...:rolleyes:

3. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

huh yeah no sh!t WTF noob????

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

a rare ujoint on a chevy.... yeah they saw you coming.

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

That there is funny:haha: :haha: :haha:

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

WWW.TEAMRAPEVAN.COM

I found a store in Princeton that knows what they are doing. Big G autoparts.

7. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I'm thinkin' I don't want to click that link

8. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

It's not bad but I still don't get the name....

9. Citizen Rider

The link takes you to dallask5.com

the name is just something LEPERs son matt came up with. Just a funny name.

Princeton is dam far from my house....and yours too.:doah:

10. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I'm guessing it was like my cousin's friend's van, an old van with no windows. They named it worde "the child molester van" it was flat black and only had the front three windows.

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Not exactly. Dallask5 goes to teamrapevan.

The name..... A girl I work with saw my truck. Then she saw Matt's. Then she said" That looks like a rape van. I said wtf is a rape van. She said that when she was a little girl, her mom told her to stay away from vehicles like that because bad people would take you and rape you inside them. I told matt the story and a little while later I saw team rape van, under his name on a forum. So I did what anyone else would have done, and I built a website for it.
    Happens all the time. lol:doah: :doah:

12. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Yay! I Guess It Partially!

13. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The NAPA just up the street has a guy I've dealt with for many years, I ask him for a 350 starter and he walks in the back and brings me one, a water pump goes gets it and I pay for it. I had my rear driveshaft shortened last year (203 to 208 conversion) and the Running Gear shop knew all the u-joint part numbers and the old style to new style u-joint number off-the-cuff. Anyway, the only thing I get at Advance, Autozone and Wal-mart is fluids and wipers and crap like that!

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

"Real" parts stores..

Napa and a few indepenently owned auto parts stores are the last hope for any of us building something thats "not listed in our computer"..but you pay dearly for those years of experience the countermen there have..too bad THEY never see that cash,they get 10 bucks an hour and maybe a few health benifits,IF they are lucky..and the stores get a bad rap as being "overpriced", and the countermen labelled as "surly" or "grouches"..gee,I cant understand why..:whistle: ..we had a sign at our store..it said "if all else fails,blame the counterman"..:surepal: .

No offence to any Autozone employees here(I know there are a few!)..this is my experience here at the one nearby recently..

I had to replace the rear metal brake lines in my Ford over the weekend..it has "bubble flared" tubing rather than the normal flare..I went to Autozone,since they were the only store open ,Pep Boys closed at 6 pm Saturday for "inventory"..:mad: --I got there about 6:15!..Pep Boys isn't a great store to buy "hard parts" at,but they do have much more selection of fittings,dewhickies,and adapters that I was nearly certain I'd need to get brake lines on my car..I knew mine were "weirdo's",with metric threads and bubble flares..and I'd have to "adapt" regular lines to it,or if I was lucky,find the correct lines with the proper flare and fittings..

Soon as I said "brake lines",the guy at Autozone starts lookin up the RUBBER brake HOSE in the computer!..I say NO,NO, STEEL brake lines!!:rolleyes: --he says "OH"--I asked if they had "bubble flared" lines--I got a blank stare,and then he says--"they're over there(points behind the counter!)..YOU can pick out what you want!.."... gee..thanks for all your help and knowledge..

I felt I should be the one getting paid,since I did all the work!..this guy was a classic..he shows me a box of "unions"later, to join the usual SAE lines,but "we don't carry anything else!"..I had more stuff in my junk drawer back at the shop than THEY did!..:rolleyes: ..as usual,another wild goosechase looking for the right parts..on a weekend,when all the "real"stores are closed..:mad:

I ended up using the original tubing nuts off the OEM Ford lines..if any of you are doing steel brake lines,take heed!..they sold me a bubble flared line at Autozone,but all they had were ones with 3/8-24 SAE threads on the nuts!!--they would screw into a METRIC 10MM fitting,like the ones on my Ford,but fit sloppily!..and if I had tightened them,I'd have stripped the threads in the brake hoses,which were "special order" and would have costed 40 bucks each!..they should never have made those 2 sizes so close,on something as critical as brake lines!!..:mad:

Makes me wonder how any cars brakes get fixed right around here,after that fiasco..and how many with half stripped lines are coming at me the other way..:eek1: ....

I get the feeling Autozone is pushing the guys to "sell-sell-sell"...I am just about greeted at the door when I walk in,(like a puppy dog when you get home!)--and they always seem to be pushing you to buy stuff..no,I dont need brake fluid,etc..if I did,I'd get a bottle!..I get turned off when that happens,-- I was forced to do the same at the stores I worked at too..
    Radio Shack and a few other stores make their employees do the same,and I feel like I'm being forced to buy something,usually not what I came in looking for!,or something more expensive..

I think its degrading to the employee as well..I'd feel stupid if I had to answer the phone with a speil like "Thanks for calling Autozone..gaurenteed best prices..my name is Joe, how can I help you??"...when all you really need to say is "Autozone.. Joe speaking"...I found if I said anything more where I worked,quite often the customer would either talk over me,or tell me to STFU so he could give his requests!:rolleyes: ...

maybe its just me?:dunno:

15. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

you need some bulb grease:p:.

16. Citizen Rider

When the get on my nerves I ask if they have any blinker fluid. They just keep looking and start asking the other workers.:haha:

17. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

man - that's a good idea! i can't stand any major autoparts chain - too much crappy service. i hate napa the least tho. the only place i go is baxter autoparts - but i think that's only in portland, vancouver, centralia and maybe a couple in seattle. i got to know them real well, now i get about 40-60% off on just about everything i buy and they can get anything and everything i need. ;)

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Keep those part Numbers fo you can ask for the correct parts next time....