Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto to 465/203 swap FINALLY COMPLETE!!!!! YEEEEHHHAAAA!!!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zeus33rd, Dec 27, 2002.

1. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

After 1 month and a half sittin in the garage, I finally got it done about 3 hours ago. 465/203. It's definatley wierd goin to a 465 after all the auto's I've run. I can't go as fast. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    I want to give a huge thanks to Aaron, ChevyDrivnrdneck for offering to give his 465/203 setup and pay him when I got the cash. If he hadn't helped me out, the beast would still be in the garage. Also gotta thank my other buddy in town here, even though he'll never see this, For giving me a new in the box Centerforce clutch. haha....I just got in it and drove around for like an hour when I got it goin....It was like seein an old friend again. WaaaaaaHoooooooO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

LOL!- On a lighter note- I didn't bolt in the front driveline tonight cause I'm going to put some new u-joints into it....Anyways, so I was parking my truck in front of my gf's house, and where I park is off the road on a slight side hill....It's been raining ALOT here, so it was VERY muddy. I pulled in and stopped and my truck started sliding sideways down the hill. So I gassed it to get out, and the back end spun around so I was half on the road and half off....Couldn't back up to get a run at it....STEEEEEP hill...So I had to ask my gf to come pull me back onto the road with her [cough]2002 Ford Ranger[/cough]. Talk about Kodak moment. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

freekin sweet..how do ya like the 465 compaired to the auto?

3. Zeus33rd

I LOVE it! Except for one thing....lol, I can't go as fast. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

But the low ratios, and bulletproof-ness of it is all I care about....No more layin under thr truck fixin another broken automatic. YeeeeHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

SWEET!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Glad to hear you got it working!!
    Good job! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Congrats! Sounds awesome. My 69 has been down since October 26, I'm swaping in a 454 and replacing my 3 speed manual with a 465. I can't wait to fire it up. It's also going up 2 more inches to help fit the 454. Looking forward to the extra altitude also.

I feel your excitement and makes me want to grab a wrench and hit the barn. I'm hoping to be running in less than a month. That's my goal anyway!

Congrats again!

6. Zeus33rd

Thanks for all the congrats and stuff doods. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Although I have to admit, it was NOT all roses during the swap...There were a few times I got so pissed at the damn thing that I wanted to stuff a stick of dynamite in the gas tank. Had to walk away from it more than once. I did freak out enuff once that I destroyed my dash bezel. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif I cuss at my truck BAD when I work on it....but I love the damn thing.....talk about a dysfunctional relationship eh? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. mike83blazer

mike83blazer Registered Member

that is a great swap!!! but who says you can go fast???

305, 465, 208, 10b YEAH!!!

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Except for one thing....lol, I can't go as fast.

How do you figure? Unless you had a TH700 in there, you should be be going a touch faster since the manual doesn't have a 5-10% slippage. As for quickness - that's another story /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

465/203's are getting tough to find. I assume a Doubler is next...all the power to you! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Zeus33rd

hehe....Well I guess you're right. Fast wasn't the right word...."Quickness" is a better word. It's not as quick as it was. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif But thats totally ok with me if I dont have to fix it again for along time. And yes....I know the 465/203 is harder to find, so you are correct about the doubler bein in the plans for the future. I've got a good foundation for it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Just wait till you get the power shifting down, its an art with an sm465, but itll surprise you how itll move /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i have all the parts to do this swap in my 74. i already installed the Hyd clutch stuff. well, i guess all i need is a clutch. i have to decide on what i want.
    did you do linkage or hydraulic setup?
    i hope to have my truck back together and on the road by august... but im not sure right now.
    Grant

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hahah sounds oo to familiar..(about cussing at the truck and stuff you said..) /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Zeus33rd

I just did the manual linkage for now....It's not near as bad as I thought it was gonna be as far as pedal effort. It's not to much worse than my GF's 2002 Ford Ranger. One day many moons from now when I feel like takin it all back apart, I'll get a hydro bell housing and all the stuff to convert. I just don't want to mess with it again for a long time....that $hit is heavy. Especially when ya do it by yourself with nothin but a flooor jack and a couple 4x4 blocks. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

got a few questions.
    did you pull a TH350 out? and if so how much if at all and what way did you move the mount bolts for the x-member?
    and what x-member did you use?
    i belive the one i have off my th350 will work, but im not sure. i dont see a reason why it would not....
    thaks
    Grant