Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto to manual hub conversion problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rampage, Oct 1, 2001.

1. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

My 89 has the stock axle and I bought Warn's premium manual hubs (part # 20990). The problem is that when I put them in it seems like they stick out a little bit and need to go in another 1/8 inch to put the snap ring on the outside of the hub. I know some of you have encountered this problem, so I'd like your input. Do I have the correct manual hub or do I have to buy the conversion kit also? FWIW, the hub is on tight (no play in the wheel) and the lock ring is correctly seated.

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

[​IMG] I should have read ALL the posts first! Looks like JST12 has the same problem as me. At least I'm not alone. [​IMG]

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

There is a stamped metal ring that goes around the inner part of the spring on some hubs. This is the only thing I can think of IF you are SURE the spindle nuts are on correctly and the lock ring is flat between them.

The ring may be in there under some grease. Use a pick to see if you can pull it out.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after 283 Posts!!!

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

When you take out the locking hub this allows the axleshaft to "float" in and out of the housing. When the new hub is pushed on it typically pushes the shaft further into the carrier. Take a big screwdriver and go between the knuckles (where the axle shaft u-joint is) and pry the axle shaft out a little. It should move pretty easily and only go maybe a 1/4" or so, but this should give you enough room to get the snap ring on. If this isn't the problem, I believe that the factory auto hubs maybe have an extra spacer (it's been a long time since I messed with autos). Make sure it's not there.

5. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

Thanks, but I tried that .. guess I should have mentioned that. The 1/8 that I need is after I push the axelshaft out. It's been a while since I disassembled the hub assembly, so where is the spacer that you are talking about? Is it behind the lock nut?

E PLURIBUS UNUM

6. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Look at this diagram.<a target="_blank" href=http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/CI/3P/JO/K186344.jpg>http://wsphotofews.excite.com/012/CI/3P/JO/K186344.jpg</a>
    Items 30, 29, 28, 9, &amp; 7 are the only items that need to be installed from the outer bearing out, once you get rid of the automatic hubs. They should be installed in that order with the warn internal piece between parts 28 &amp; 9.
    Note on an '85 the snap ring on the axle stub will not go back on with the Warn hub.

Hope this helps.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

7. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I was just in my hubs a week or so ago, but my memory could still fail me. here is the way it is, if my memory works right...

Spindle...inner rotor/hub seal...inner rotor/hub bearing...rotor/hub...outer rotor/hub bearing...washer...inner spindle nut (one with the pin)...locking ring (seated on the pin)...outer spindle nut...and with Warn premiums, main hub gear assembly...axle shaft snap ring (if you can get it on, couldn't on mine so left it off)...outer hub snap ring (that snaps into the hub itself, bend the ends a little to save a NIGHTMARE getting them out again...then the outer hub gear with the dial thingy.

That sound right guys?

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Here's how I do it.

Remove everything all the way to the spindle nuts. All snap rings and traces of automatic hubs are discarded.

Install new Warn Premium hubs. Install large snap ring, but modify it by bending the end for easy removal later. Install outside.

Warn says that not using the axle retaining ring won't hurt a thing. I agree. It's just a pain in the a**. So get rid of all those little snap rings, just keep the big one like I do.

Keep It Super Simple!!!!!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. cdoggwsu

cdoggwsu 1/2 ton status

Wow talk about an old thread...

I'm having the same issue with not being able to get the small snap ring on the axle stub shaft.

Is it still the general consensus that leaving the small one off and just putting the big one in is OK?

Last edited: May 10, 2010
  10. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No, the small snap ring MUST be installed otherwise you risk water and dirt getting into the spindle bearing. The snap ring keeps the proper amount of tension against the stub axle and the spindle seal. First make sure you don't have a snap ring on the stub axle BEHIND the locking hub body, then you need to use a small pry bar (or screwdriver) to move the axle assembly outwards while you install the snap ring on the stub axle outboard of the locking hub body.

11. cdoggwsu

cdoggwsu 1/2 ton status

Hmm I'll have to take a look at it again. I did take off the snap ring and washer behind the auto hub and used a pry bar on the u-joint when installing the manual hub body but it needs way more than a little bit of stub shaft play to expose the snap ring groove. On my '88 there is a 2nd outer snap ring groove that the '84 doesn't have...not sure what's going on there.

This burb's front axle is already focked, something's messed up and the auto hubs won't disengage. I really just want to get the front hubs disconnected as it's already missing the front d-shaft. If I can't get the manual hubs to work without swapping in different axle shafts is there a way to just disable the auto hubs?

Oh I should also mention that I double checked the spindle nuts and everything is good and tight there.

**EDIT** FWIW I double checked the install instructions from Warn (20990 premiums):
    As you said, Scott, I'm not crazy about the idea of a lack of seal against the spindle but seeing as how this axle is already on it's way out I may just do it to get the damn hubs free.

Last edited: May 10, 2010