Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto to Manual swap, regrets?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_addict, Jun 21, 2005.

1. chevy_addict

chevy_addict 1/2 ton status

I'm contemplating swapping from a 700R4 to a SM465 in my 86 K10 Suburban. I want to hear from people who have gone from auto to manual and if you have any regrets, particularly in a DD. Anything you would do differently?

TIA
    Dave

2. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

I'm going to have to keep a watch on this cause I'm getting ready to do the same thing in a K5.

3. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If you're used to driving a car manual transmission then I'd find someone's 465 to drive. It's more like rowing a boat than shifting. It likes to shift under power about as much as a Ford 9N. The gear spacing is horrible.

I don't know, maybe I just expect too much out of mine. Mine feels "tight" but still doesn't like to shift under power. That's my biggest complaint.

4. fordeater

fordeater 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i just recently went from a 700r4/208 to a 465/205 in my 84 k5. I love it, and i have no regrets. Its alot more fun to drive now.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You drive a 465 long enough and you get a certain feel for it. I can actually shift mine pretty quick, no problems shifting under power. Gear spacing isn't anything i can do anything about, and it does suck now and then.

Rene

6. az ranger

az ranger 1/2 ton status

I Have No Regrets After Going 700 To 465. Like Said Above It Is More Fun To Drive. Only Thing That Sucks Is Not Having Overdrive With 4.56's

7. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

No regrets...and alot less brakage now. I just can't seam to keep auto transmissions in one piece, plus I have alot more control with a manual.

8. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

in my fullsize I went from a turbo 400 with shift kit to smc465... need a rev limiter as I love mud... with auto.. just mash the right pedal... with stick can we say OVERRRRRRREV KABOOM!!!

just more thought.. however since I did it.. I LOVE IT... so much more control....

although if I was to do a swap as I actually did a rolling chassis swap :cool1:

I would fork the extra dough out for a nv4500

shift from L to 1 is super fast in the revs go quick
    1 to 2 is ok... 2 to 3rd gear... OH MY GOD CAN WE SAY REV THAT PUPPY!!!1
    the ratio in the smc465 is wide between those gears...

but I did say I love mine right :grin:

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Dont know if I'd do it again...

I put an SM465 in my 72 K5 I had years ago,after its TH350 made me late for work too many times waiting for it to shift into forward gears every morning..

It was a week of 6pm to midnight non stop work,between stripping the parts out of the truck I bought for the SM465,and installing them--had to change the tranny,transfer case,and yank out the power brake booster(which was full of brake fluid and was junk too! :doah: ),to put in the clutch pedals--then cut out the floor hump for the shifter,and install the manual tranny flywheel,bell housing,etc..luckily the driveshafts fit!.

.I put a brand new 12" clutch in it--it lasted 1 week before one of the 3 levers broke on the pressure plate--changed it again when the second one did the same thing a month later! :angry1: :angry1: --finally put a diaphram type pressure plate in and had no more clutch problems--then the splined "coupler" between the tranny and transfer case started rattling--found out the splines on the tranny output shaft were pretty worn--put 2 new couplers in it in 25,000 miles,and even though I filled it with RTV and Locktite,it rattled nearly every one of those miles and drove me nuts!..

I like manual trannys--but I did not realize the SM465 was more suited for a dump truck than a K5--I had 3.08 gears,since it used to be an automatic,and it was horrible with the SM465--I didn't like the way second gear was really "first"(the LOW or first gear was only good for creeping or taking 0ff on steep hils,or wall climbing!)--the jump from second to third was too far away--you'd wind it out in second,get it up to 25mph or so,then it would bauugghhgg in third gear--and you didnt need 4th gear until you hit 65 mph or so,or it would lug!...might have been a lot better with lower gears--but I hated it after I put the SM465 in it--now I had to shift it all day too in city traffic!..I like an automatic much better--until they start croaking,then I wish it was a manual again!..

I would have liked it much better if GM had a tranny with better gear ratios and easier faster shifting,like the M22 Muncie tranny they used in camaros and GTO's and what not--I thought the "3 on the tree" three speeds had a better overall ratio spread and were faster shifting than the clunky SM465 ever was--but they had none of the strength of the SM465's.(and no "granny low" for crawling)..so I guess its a toss up...I feel they still haven't made a "good" manual tranny yet--one that has good spacing betwwen gears,is an overdive in top gear,or is rugged enough,all in one box yet..I was almost tempted to get one of those 5 or 6 speed Richmond Gear tranny's for it..but I sold it instead.. :crazy:

Not trying to discourage anyone,but I regretted putting the SM465 in my truck--between all the work,then the clutch problems and couplers being a PITA,I was wishing I just had the TH350 rebuilt and kept on driving it--cost me about 500 bucks for all the parts,and a ton of labor...I didnt use the truck off road much,so most of it for me was a waste of time and money.. :frown1:I think I'd BUY another truck with a manual tranny already in iit before I go thru all that again!.. :crazy:

10. icer97

icer97 1/2 ton status

I went from a manual to a automatic. Im strictly in mud, and the 4 speed just was always between gears. Had to run 4 low but then to backup had to put it in high side to get any wheel speed up at all. I think a manual is the way to go if your running a stock motor with stock gears, being able to drop the clutch is nice. But if you have any HP or gears at all, I love having unlimited wheel speed that my auto gives me.

11. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

i did a manual swap, took a better part of a day, cost about 800 for tranny, clutch, hydraulic clutch parts, transfer case, pedal etc. i love it now. i lov ebeing able to control what gear im in and i have always just loved manual trannys. if i could have found one for a good price i would have rather went nv4500, but i got a great deal on my set up, $200 for unused tranny and t case (205) (military surplus) and couldnt pass it up. If i could go back and do it again, i wouldnt hesitate

12. RootBreaker

that is a good deal... im selling (but should be sold) a smc465 already mated to a np205....in a week or 2 gonna have a smc465 mated to a np208 up for sale... :cool1:

13. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

If your truck is a daily driver or if you do any kind of common highway driving, stick with the automatic! The 465 is definitely strictly for people who mainly use their truck to "off-road/wheel". Everyone else pretty much summed everything up. You drive in 2nd gear, which takes some getting used to. Shifting takes forever and is a challenge at times. The gear spacing is almost unbearable - on the trail or on the highway! Low gear is amazing for trail use but as Rootbreaker said, it allows you to overrev like you wouldn't believe. If you mainly use your rig on the trail, I would say definitely go manual, but go with the 4500 if you can.

14. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Swap away! Went from a 350/203 to a 465/205 combo and have been lovin' my blazer ever since. The hardest part for me was getting the master cylinder pushrod working with my pedal bracket I created. Good luck and enjoy the dump truck-esque feel of the 465!

15. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I disagree. It's a truck, if you want fast positive shifting, get a car.

Stay off peoples a$$ in traffic, be patient, and you won't mind the manual one bit. Stick it in second, and idle along while everyone stomps on the gas and brake.

16. RootBreaker

errr my truck was a daily driver from 1990 - 1997..... oh had 4.56's factory with 33's.... flew down the highway all the time... just keep that pedal mashed and shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiift!!!!! :grin:

loved it.. even took a 88 mustang gt off the line.. then he handed my my bottom!!!!! :crazy: but what else you expect...

I got sheetrock for my father... 26 sheets ( if I can remember back that far )
    they were about 10" above the sides of my bed... with the auto... blew my tranny cooler line going home, had problems going up hill... all kinds of crap... after I swapped chassis that already had the smc np205 mounted.... I had to get more sheetrock....

well no tranny cooler to blow....
    chirped the tires hard with 26 sheets of rock :cool1:
    took on the same hill going home and truck FLEW up the hill.... something bout the manual tranny in a truck.... just belongs there :cool1:

17. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

IMO if you drive in traffic especially in a DD your gona hate the SM465 then again Houston has some of the worst traffic I've ever seen, I kept eyeballing low just curious how many cars I could pile up before it would stall :) :) :)

18. SUB-ZERO

SUB-ZERO 1/2 ton status

ROOTBREAKER, don't give up on me!I WILL definately get up there and get it.I put new tranny lines in 87Blues Jimmy last night(helped anyhow), and I can't wait to be rid of mine(tranny lines that is).What a PITA!

19. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I was giddy as a schoolgirl when I was laying under my Blazer taking out the transmission cooler lines for good. Knowing that I would never have to worry about them leaking or getting hung on something again.

I susspect that you may miss having overdrive since your going from a 700r4 but you get some economy back with a manual since it is a straight drive and no pumps to run or fluid to pressurise.

I agree with the whole 2nd to 3rd gear split being pretty wide but Iv had my sm465 behind a gas and now a diesel and I have found out that all it takes is a little getting used to and in no time youll have your shifting technique perfected.

My only regret is not doing it sooner! :D

20. RootBreaker

HAA HAA HAA...

naw.. she is still there for ya... if you wait a week or 2 more... and bring a tow truck or flatbed... tow bar can work too... you can have the 85 fullsize jimmy.... FER FREE!!!!

less hydro clutch stuff, steering column, smc465 and np208

however the foot pedals, frame mounted parts and all will be there :cool1: