Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto to manual tranny swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by LAXandBLAZERS, Nov 9, 2003.

1. LAXandBLAZERS

LAXandBLAZERS 1/2 ton status

How hard is it to do a 700R4 To sm465 swap in a Blazer? Is there a lot of fabrication needed???? How long would it take? And anyone who has done this what is a ballpark figure in what you have spent? Thanks for the help. Kepping all options open.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. dhdescender

dhdescender 1/2 ton status

Qualicum Beach, British Columbia, Canada - Eh.
    My friend did it. He needed a flywheel, the tranny t-case a jig saw a drill, (possibly a new pedal assembly). you may also have to alter your driveshafts as they may be a different length. He did the swap behind a 6.2L

Thats about it. Pull all the old stuff out, shove in the new stuff, and cut holes where you need. Also, just take care in the "little" stuff like speedo cable etc.

3. LAXandBLAZERS

anyone else who has done it?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I did it. I needed flywheel, clutch, 465/205, pedal assembly and clutch linkage, got the rear driveshaft made. I suppose to do it right, you'd need a manual column too.

$140 for the clutch assembly, $180 for the driveshaft, $50 for clutch linkages.

5. LAXandBLAZERS

well, where is the best place to find a SM465/205 combo? My dad's old truck had one and thats about the only one I've seen around here. Where should I look? Thanks for /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif the help

6. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

We really need to do a write up on this. I see you have an 86 so you shouldn't have problems finding the flywheel.

Where should you look?? Every junkyard you can go to. Also depends on what transfer case you want. If you don't want to look in junk yards, hang out in the for sale section of pirate. You'll find what you are looking for if you aren't in a rush and usually at a decent price. Also check this boards for sale section.

I never changed out my column, i thought it would be one more thing to confuse a thief!! I also went the hydro route. It was much more of a pain in the ass since I didn't have the right pedal set at first so I had to guess on alot of things. If you search, you should be able to find a hydraulic setup in a junk yard. It doesn't have to be 4wd, just look for any 85 to 87 half ton truck, 85-92 suburban, blazer, or 3/4 and 1 tons. Just rob the pedal set, master, slave, and bell housing.

Sometimes people just take the whole transmission so it might be harder to find a bell housing, but it's not hard to make your own bracket to hold the slave.

We really should do a write up on this. I'm willing to help. Maybe if I get time I'll do the whole thing.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With an '86, a hydraulic setup is going to make life easier (firewall is set up for it), so even if you run across a good deal on a mechanical setup, I say wait.

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    With an '86, a hydraulic setup is going to make life easier (firewall is set up for it), so even if you run across a good deal on a mechanical setup, I say wait.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, on my '80, how hard is it to mount hydraulic master cylinder? Cutting, drilling and cursing ahead /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

On my '84, there was already a hole in the flywheel that worked great. Put in the parts, and I was ready to rock and roll. Hydro clutch was one of the best things that ever happened to my truck.

10. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

11. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

I have a pedal and linkage setup from a 79 oneton that I just parted out. Let me know if you want it to do your swap. Email me at jasons68@comcast.net

12. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I guess best route is to find donor truck where I can scavenge all the parts at once. Problem is that manual Chevys are pretty rare here, and ones that have it, are still on the road.

I will put on add for parts and hope for best. I already know one 465, but it doesn't have bellhousing, and seller wasn't sure is it really a 465. He wanted $350 from it. Is that a fair price?

13. 1gmc4x4

1gmc4x4 Newbie

[ QUOTE ]
    He wanted $350 from it. Is that a fair price?

[/ QUOTE ]
    NO
    I got a SM465-NP205 with bellhousing clutch asymbly, clutch, flywheel, (everything) for $200
    I thing $350 is FAIR for a sm465 if it was rebuilt.
    I did the swap to my 69 so its a little(a lot) different then yours but for the most part was really easy. I made a bracket for the swivel linkage and from ther everything bolted right up /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

14. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I was buying winch for my truck today, and I asked about that $350 box. Parts dealer said that who is selling that tranny knows his stuff, and it's cheap if it really is a 465.
    Like I said, they are rare in here.