Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto to Manual trans swap

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79ChevySB, Jul 28, 2001.

1. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Does anyone out there know what parts it is going to take to swap a 350auto tranny to a SM465? I have a 203 transfer case with a part time kit in it. Also does anyone out there know where I can get the parts? If anyone is selling them let me know. Thanks.

2. mudddog91

mudddog91 1/2 ton status

Well are you going TO the sm465 from the th350?If so Ive just done that conversion using the np205 though.If youve got the 465 for the np203 and the adapter that goes between that should be it. Do you have the bell housing ,clutch components,
    theres a bracket that mounts to your frame for the clutch linkage,you need the clutch and brake pedal assy. from the donor truck,and youll have to wire in your reverse light switch!!!!!You may have to change driveshaft length also.not sure....

3. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

I am going to the sm465 tranny, and today I just got the clutch and brake pedals. I still need the adapter for the transfer case, and Im not to sure what Im looking for. Dont have the tranny yet either, do you know if they put 465's in 2wd trucks? Thanks.

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

Yes they put 465s in 2wd trucks, I don't know what years though. If you're going to get a 465, you have to get the one for the 203. It has a 32 spline output and it has to have the adapter. To be honest, the cheapest way to get all the parts is to go to the junkyard and ask for a 465/203 set and that way you know you have all the parts. I'm not just saying this to get to your 203, but if you do go this route, I'm interested in your 203. If it has a 32 spline input only though. I'm doing a doubler and need one. I have an 465 but it has a 10 spline output and have to change mine to a 32 spline to mate with the 203 I get. I'll say it again, the best way to get the setup you need is to go to the junkyard and get a 465/203 setup and then you have the sleeves, adapter, 32 spline and all the linkage. If you don't trust me ask thatk30guy. I've talked to him for the last two days straight about mine.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Just in case some of you might not know...the SM 465/NP203 combo was only offered by GM for one year. 1974. I'm pretty sure it the most rare tranny T-case combo ever offered by GM...They discontinued that combo for drivabilty reasons. I would swap a 205 in with the SM 465. Its a better T-case with the same low range.
    Finding an adaptor for a SM465 to NP 203 could be a real chore as well, and if you did find one it wouldn't be cheap.

If you can find a bellhousing and all the related parts from an 85 or newer truck...it'll be hydraulic onstead of linkage. Its much better. My clutch is the manual linkage and its the only thing on my truck I really dis-like.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by tRustyK5 on 07/29/01 03:38 PM.</FONT></P>

6. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

What years would a guy be looking for to get a SM465/ 205 combo? Were all 4spds the 465? I have the 205 behind a TH400 and have been tossing the idea of going std for a while now. I think I will gather some info and start peeling the eyes for the parts and pieces I need.
    L8R

Mike

<font color=blue>Thumper
    85 Fullsize Jimmy
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>Lets Go Wheelin! </font color=red>

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Not all 4 speeds were 465's, but I don't believe I've ever seen the external linkage 4 speeds that they list as possibly coming in the trucks. 205 was around a long time, but you are likely going to end up getting one from the mid 70's. I bought my combo for $200. The adapter for this combo is typically broken though, and expensive to come by seperately.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

8. 79ChevySB

79ChevySB 1/2 ton status

Thought that GM had made that combo for more than one year (74') but if its that hard to find, how much do you guys think a 205/465 combo would cost from the yard? Thanks for the replys.