Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto to manual wiring?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by purplehavoc, Jul 30, 2006.

1. purplehavoc

purplehavoc Registered Member

Hey everyone!
    New here and had a couple of questions.
    Just swapped out the 700r4/208 for a sm465/205 and was wondering what i have to do to hook up my clutch interlock?Can't find any decent diagrams.
    Also wondering were i have to tap in to wire in my reverse lights.Do i go from the park switch on my column?
    Tranny is from a 79 went into an 86.
    Thanks in advance.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I would think the wires on the neutral safety/backup switch can just be used . One plug is for backup , one for neutral safety . Use those .

The neutral safety is simple to use as a clutch interlock , the wires allow to start if jumped , so use the wires on that plug for the clutch pedal switch .

The backup lights would be easy too .

Diagrams up to say the mid 80's are here http://community.webshots.com/user/muddytazz

3. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well in my case, I didn't bother with the neutral safety switch I just spliced the wire that travels up the column to the one that came back down. I was never that impressed with the back up lights so I've never worried about them. You could of course wire a toggle switch to make the back up lights work.

4. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

There should be a reverse switch on the tranny (simple two-wire deal near the top).

The clutch switch can be gotten from your local auto parts store/junk yard/chevy duty and wired into the auto neutral switch circuit, as previously mentioned.

5. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just didnt wire mine. backup lights didnt work anyway and Im too lazy to fix em. and the other, well in reality Im too lazy to fix that too.:D

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

In some cases, it's better to not have a clutch safety switch. Sometimes you need to use the starter to crank a stalled vehicle out of trouble!

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

for the reverse switch all you need is the connector that will fit into the switch, look in LMC for their break downs of the parts. For the switch you just need an ignition hot wire to it and when the tranny is in reverse it triggers the switch so all you need to do is trace the wire for your reverse lights and put it into the other side of the switch.

For a wiring diagram look in a Haynes book. I think they have the right one you are looking for.

8. purplehavoc

Thanks for the info,i'am going to try to have a look at the wires in the next day or so while i have the doors off and the dash apart.
    I might also add a swith to by pass the cluth lock,but need to have it and the lights wired in for an inspection.

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

sometimes it would be nice to have it... I had a friend behind my truck in 1994 and he stood between my truck and his.. I fired up my truck and didnt have the clutch in.. the truck jumped back and he put his hand no my tailgate and his hood.. well I slammed into his truck.. would have taken his legs off.... :eek1:

but I still dont have that safety switch.... that lesson has tought me a goo done... :crazy:

10. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

A manual override is definitely better than just having the switch permanently bypassed.

11. purplehavoc

I want to install the override cause they can come in handy,but need the saftey lock for the insp.

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Use a momentary switch, like a horn button or something. That way you can't accidentally leave it on.