Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto to Standard "Q"s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big jimmy 91, Jun 8, 2005.

1. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

Now I have searched a few times and have read the tech article here.

I have a 91 Jimmy 350 TBI , 700R , NP241 in stock form right now
    The 700 seems to be craping out on me (big surprise)

I need to know exactly what standard trans. will fit into place and keep the 241 , spline count , adapters , new cross members , or anything else that will need to be changed to make this happen

In my search there was someone that said they were going to do a write up for a 700 to standard but I have not been able to find it.

So if anyone out there can steer me in the right direction I would really appreciate it

Any thoughts? :ears:

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'd thik the NV4500 would be a good swap for you. Fairly expensive, but you get OD. I believe the NP241 will bolt right up to it? (wait for clarification on that one) Hydraulic clutch I'm assuming would be same/similar with the 4500. I believe if you do a search for 4500 or NV4500 you will be busy reading for some time, but will likely net you all the answers. It's a fairly pricey trans, but that's what you pay for a much newer piece, and OD.

Other option is, as always, the 465, but no OD. At least it was stock in these trucks and would be a pretty easy conversion.

One other thing is you'll want a new PROM for your ECM. Auto and manual aren't really interchangeable in that arena. Still a worthwhile swap. :)

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The back of the NV4500 adaptor is the generic 6 hole round pattern, so it should bolt up to the NP241. The 241 was often bolted behind the NV4500 from the factory. You will have to swap the input gear on the 241 though. The 700-R4 is 27 spline and the NV4500 is 32 spline.

SM465 swap...best (easiest anyways) is to find a 465 that is 81 or newer. They are 32 spline and should have the same 6 hole round pattern. Same deal with the input gear on the T-case.

Crossmember might need moving, but that's no big deal. Probably need driveshaft work too.

You will also need the pedals and pedal hanger, and all the other clutch junk.

Rene

4. big jimmy 91

One other thing is you'll want a new PROM for your ECM. Auto and manual aren't really interchangeable in that arena. Still a worthwhile swap. :)[/QUOTE]

What is a PROM :blush: ?

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

computer chip

Programmable
    Read
    Only
    Memory

Rene

6. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Prom or Programable Read ONLY memory is in your computer inside the cab. Think of it as a mini hard drive that tells your trucks computer exactly whats in your truck.

Go to thirdgen.org to find out more

7. big jimmy 91

Oh , thanks for the insight :thumb:

What is a ball park price of a NV4500?
    Also is it from chev only or can they be found in other trucks?