Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto to stick swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Feb 17, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what tranny would you guys recomend for a 88 3/4 ton burb 350 and curently 400 turbo if i wanted to swap to stick? HAs any one done this on a burb, i dident thing they came stick (my year anyway) or would it be as simple as in the write up on the swap? /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Definitely go with the SM465 (like the tech article did). They are pretty abundant (read: cheap) and fairly bomb-proof. Burbs were offered with a manual tranny from the factory, although they're VERY uncommon. They came with the SM465. Your other option, which is a popular but more expensive one, is to swap in a NV4500, sourced from various '92-later Chevy trucks. This is a five-speed manual with granny first and an overdrive. The overdrive would be nice for freeway cruising. But, since you've had a TH400, you wouldn't be missing OD if you swapped in the SM465.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I don't think you could have an easier truck (your year) to swap a stick into. Stick with the hydraulic setup, thats what your truck was designed for. Believe you'll just need the 465/208 adapter to bolt the tranny to your transfer case.

Personally I like the SM465, but it IS only a 4 speed with no OD. If you cruise on stock size tires with 4.10's, the RPM's will be high on the freeway if you like to go the speed limit. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Then again, with a 400 already, you have no OD anyways, nor lockup, so cruising RPM's should be close to the same as now, slightly lower with the manual.

Your truck will have the dimples in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder "studs", so no locating needed for that. The tranny tunnel will be dimpled (both the cutout for the shifter, and the screw holes for the shifter boot) so thats easy as well.

The NV4500 is a nice transmission, but is fairly expensive all by itself, shifter doesn't fit in the same place (which means t-case shifter location will be wrong too I think) and then you may have to deal with transmission to t-case issues. It's about the only other commonly used manual transmission in our trucks.

The NV4500 is essentially a 465 with OD (speaking only of gear spacing, which is pretty much the same) so driveability is only enhanced if the engine is turning too many RPM's at cruise.

4. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

it should be just as simple.

wanna duramax diesel in a 91 /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm debating on going sm465/NP-205 combo in my K5 sometime in the next 5 years or so. (Yeap, I need so much other stuff first, and my TH350/NP-203 still works. Once it doesn't, then I'll have a excuse to go sm465/NP-205. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My '81 Suburban used to have a TH400/208. I put an SM465/205 in it with mechanical linkage. Just pulled the column and swapped pedal assemblies (and in my case cut the whole and mounted the bracket for linkage), then I used my existing floor pan and cut a hole for the shifter.

I've done the same swap on a '75 K5.

On an '88 Suburban, you're floorpan won't unbolt (my friend's '88 Suburban had the center hump all molded as one piece with the body). So, I guess you'd just have to cut the shifter hole. My friend's '88 came factory with an SM465 4spd and NP208.

Looks like the hydraulic stuff has been dicussed already.

7. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

thanks guys The sm465 sounds nice, if its more or less bolt on, but i would love OD it half the reason i would do a swap. so the nv4500 is nice too but more messing aroun meenss more money and making this crisp truck a bit micky mouse. i need an old half beat to crap truck that runs good so i don't half to care what i do to it. I would only do the swap if i deside to keep the truck and it i did i would go to 35x12.50s how whould this factor in?

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Well, the problem with the OD swap is cost. Whats the point of swapping OD? Only reasons are A) run numerically higher gears so freewat RPM's aren't insane, or B) fuel economy. Problem with figuring fuel economy into a swap like this is that the savings will probably never come about, due to the initial cost of the transmission. If they do, unless you drive many, many, many miles a year, it will take probably 3-5 years before you break even.

All else the same, taller tires reduce engine RPM at a given vehicle speed. With the deep 1st gear of the 465, changing gears is less important than a transmission with a much higher 1st gear when swapping to larger tires.