Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto tranny cooler lines, which is high side ?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by R72K5, Sep 11, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

at the radiator which line is the high side fromthe pump away from tranny to radiator? top or bottomline ? i assume top, but well thats just an assumption, i need ot drain out soemfluid in a 700r4 in a vehicle out here and replace the fluid, its getting dark, i didnt have TV cable tightened enough for a fewmonths so it was not shifting as hard as it should have been which in turn has wornclutch packs down enoughot darken the fluid, so i need to hurry up and fix that fast, tranny runs great though, as always.

watch it blow up next week now....
    heh

thanks

2. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Its the bottom on the radiator.
    The fluid comes in the bottom of the radiator and is pushed up the radiator out the top. This keeps the fluid from "waterfalling" down the cooler.

It takes about 10-12 quarts to do a complete flush. Connect a hose from the line into a BIG bucket. Make sure the hose is well secured before starting up the vehicle (I learned this the hard way watching 5 quarts of fluid come squirting out like an open firehose all over the garage /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

Usually 3ish quarts will be pump out before it starts to spit and sputter from air being sucked up from the pan. Shut the vehicle off, add 3 quarts and do it again.

I have had very good luck doing this. Get the burnt/brown fluid out ASAP

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

loli just found that out the hard way, hehe, i cut out 3" of the straight part of the top line near radiator to tap into to pump out some old fluid and well i connected it to the line going down to tranny from the radiator and well fluid came out of the line coming out of top of radiator! so needless to say it made a mess for a few seconds til i got engine stopped and switched hose over to line coming out of top of radiator, hehe,

all fixed now,and have a gallon of new fluid in and a gallon of old out,

when the pump pumped out thre quarts it apparently got downto lastof the fluid in the pan because it started spurintg out of the hose i had connected ot the line going into old radiator fluid ocntainer, so i had to add a new quart to get another dirty quart out, i originally wanted to swap out five quarts but well stock pan is not large enough to do that.

but tranny feels better now /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif not that it was messing upor anything, just that the fluid sure goit dark in last few months, when i bought the car last fall it had alot cleaner fluid, hmm.. its na 83 700r4 and well those werent the best trannies anyways but this one ahs been fine with 89k on it so far. ill just put in a longtail th350 when it dies, if it does,

ill do it again when i can afford more fluid

thanks

4. 88Silverado

As I mentioned above, the pan only holds about 4 quarts of fluid. The rest is in the torque converter and the valve body. If you only swapped 1 gallon, you still have 2 gallons of old fluid being circulated in the system /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

sooo, which line from the tranny should go to the radiator ?
    the top hole on the tranny or bottom?

next thing. if the tv cable is not adjusted right , this
    will burn up my clutch packs?

6. 88Silverado

On a 700R, the bottom line on the trans is the pressure side. This side should go into the bottom of the radiator cooler (if equipped) the return flows back thru the top of radiator into top trans line.

If TV is not set up right you will toast the clutches.
    Best way is to use a pressure gague on the tranny to set base pressure. As the TV cable gets pulled out, it increases the pressure on the clutches to prevent slipping. If set too low, not enough pressure will be applied and you will burn the clutch packs. Heres a good link on setting up the TV cable.

700R info

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

yep and thats why the sudden clutch packs wear on my 700r4 in the last few months, the cable was not set tight enough, the fluid was spotless last fallw hen i got the car, the cable is a little tighter now and alot better acting, but it might be too late, but runs perfect currently.

lowerline is definitely high side on a 700r4 atleast

what about th350 ?
    top or bottom line is hi side ?

actually... how about for the metric thm200C ? i need ot know this for the 78 pickup, i just put a reman 1982 firebird V-8 thm200C in it and the lines i have no idea which is which on those. imight have to wait til it get engine connected so i can fire it up and find out the messy way which is hi side line

thanks

8. 88Silverado

The 200R is the opposite.
    I believe the TH350 is the same as the 700R.

When I removed my th350 from my car and installed the 200R, I had to reverse the lines at the transmission.

9. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    The 200R is the opposite.
    I believe the TH350 is the same as the 700R.

When I removed my th350 from my car and installed the 200R, I had to reverse the lines at the transmission.

[/ QUOTE ]

awesome,thanks /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    now i can install radiator and connect lines here in a minute, im ready to do that now, cool /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

thankd