Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto. tranny experts

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by titanic, Aug 22, 2001.

1. titanic

titanic 1/2 ton status

What is a TH375? I was told it is a Th400 with a small Th350 output shaft. This tranny is behind a 4.3 liter 1/2 ton van and it has a Th400 pan not a Th350. Any help would be appreciated

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

My guess would be you're talking about a th475 actually. I had heard/read it was the same as a 400, but built with heavier clutches/bands and a lower 1st gear. I coldn't tell ya a thing about the output shafts, but I'd assume it's the same as a 400. If you can pull out the driveshaft, count the splines in the slip-yoke, and measure the diameter.
    I know the tranny's more commonly found in motorhomes than other vehicles, though. If it's good and you can get it, I'd go for it. Worst that can happen is you can't use it and throw it up on Ebay or something.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I think the TH475 found its way underneath motorhomes and orther extra-heavyweight large trucks. The pan on them is similar to the Th400. I doubt that a Th475 landed its way behind a 4.3l. Most likely its the same tranny that is in the S-10 jimmys/blazers

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You sure it isn't a TH250? that's a down sized TH350 with less clutches and some housing changes. Makes more sence to be behind a 4.3 Came out in the 80's.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s>communities.msn.com/OffroadK5s</a>
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    79 Chevy Blazer, Her's
    70 Chevy Burb
    Grim-Reaper

5. GM actually made the TH375. They put it in the Electra and leSabre in the 70's. Not sure about any details on them except a TH375 is a rendition of the TH400 and has a TH350
    output shaft, it uses a TH350 slip yoke too. I think there's a couple internal differences too, but it has the identical ratio of a TH400.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>I Like my Burb'n on the ROCKS !!
    <font color=black>Imported to Kentucky through military channels !!

6. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I checked today with my tranny guy. The designation is one of "strength". The 475 is a beafier version of the 400. The 375 is stronger than a 350 but is kinda like a wimpier version of the 400 (hence the 400 gearing). The 375, 400, and 475 all use the same/similar case, just different internals. The designation is kinda-like the old K5, K10, and K20 designations. The 350 is in a class by it's own, the only thing similar to it is the 700r4 which is it's overdrive cousin. Hope this helps

There is a Right way, a Wrong way, and then there is My way. The latter is usually the most fun! [​IMG]

7. DRM

DRM Registered Member

Thanks for posting this for me Steve!

The vehicle in question is a 1987 Chevy C10 van w/ a 4.3L TBI motor and the tranny in question...

I just wanna know what it is... Pan &amp; housing looks like a 400, but they tel me it is not...

If I can answer anything further - I will be more than happy to!

David
    <font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.4x4spot.com>http://www.4x4spot.com</a></font color=red>