Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto tranny question...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84gmcjimmy, Sep 5, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I was reading a thread on pirate, and I was wondering what is "reverse pattern manual valve body" and what does a stock th400 have in it? Whats the advantages/disadvantges of both. Thanks!

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Reverse valve body means you shift from P R N 1 2 D instead of P R N D 2 1

Also manual means you must shift it yourself since the tranny will no longer upshift or downshift on its own.

The only real advantage to a reverse valve body is if you were racing, then you could not possibly go from D to N.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

With full manual, the reverse valve body is desirable because you always start in 1 anyway and shift up from there. With the standard pattern, you would always move the shifter across it's entire range (from P to 1) every time before taking off.

4. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    The only real advantage to a reverse valve body is if you were racing, then you could not possibly go from D to N.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's also easier to "rock" from first to reverse to get unstuck or to make multi-point turns.

5. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Reverse manual valve bodies work very well for trails.
    with 1st and Rev. only seperated by N. it is very easy to go from first to reverse or neutral.
    Remember that they run every shift at full line pressure, i.e. shifts ar very quick and harsh.
    I have one in the buggy and love it. I just have to remember that on good traction surfaces in four wheel drive that I need to slow way down. To shift into first from second I almost have to be completly stopped.
    I would not recomend one for a daily driver.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    P R N 1 2 D instead of P R N D 2 1

[/ QUOTE ]
    I dont mean to ask a dumb question, but I have never drove an auto; what does the 2 and 1 mean? Would I be able to use those as if it were a manual; i.e. start in 1st, instead of D, then shift to 2nd? or what do I do?

Tanks for all the help, I may think about getting the reverse manual valve body put in when I get my th-400 rebuilt. I wont be DD this, so it sounds perfect to have.
    OKay and if i do get it put in, I will remember the quick and hard shifts when I am driving.

7. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

an auto is just that fully automatic shifting it will start in 1 than shift to 2 than to D , the 1 and 2 are only there to force the tranny to stay in those gears if you desire /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

ookay, so if I wanted to just stay in 1st, I would put it in "1"? that sounds gooood /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yea if you wanted to stay in first just put it in 1 and it wont ever shift it will just up the rpm's more and more, good for bogging.

10. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Actually, for most autos, it's more like a "firm suggestion". The tranny will eventually shift anyway once rpms get high enough. On manual valve bodies, what you set is what you get every time. You want to shift to "1" doing 50 down the highway, well, ok, it's your neck, the tranny will do what you say. A stock tranny would just ignore you, though it might give you second as a happy compromise. Same for starting in second or whatever. Takes all the brains out of the tranny and puts it totally in your control, just like a stick with no clutch...

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay that sounds like something that I want... but it will still work in Drive normally right? or will I have to shift it through all the gears? I still dont quite get it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I still dont quite get it /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You will have to MANUALLY shift to any gear you want to be in. The trans will do NO shifting for you! There is no "Drive" setting on a MANUAL valve body. Like Russ said it is just like having a stick just without the clutch.

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay. hmmm I think I could probably deal with that.
    Thanks!

14. screamer*145

screamer*145 1/2 ton status

not trying to high jack the post but, are the any valve bodies that wont shift so harhliy! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif