Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Tranny to Manual swap?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by jbissette, Jan 18, 2002.

1. jbissette

jbissette 1/2 ton status

How many of you have swapped out auto trannies for manuals? What years of trucks? If you had to do it again would you?

I have an 88 chevy with a 700r4, and I think it would be a lot nicer if I picked the gears. Or should I just sell it and buy a truck with a manual trans already in it?

88 Chevy K1500, 350 TBI, TH700R4, 3" body lift, 33x12.50x15 Tires
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.isu.edu/~bissjame/pics.html>My 1988 Chevy pickup</a>

2. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Well...
    I have a 1978 chevy 3/4 ton... It was nice to just mash the throttle through the mud....
    but I converted to stick (SMC465) and wont go back to auto now....
    I love the control of it all....
    All I had to do was drop the colomn.. take of the break booster because there is a bracket inside the truck that has to be replaced. I replaced this bracket that went over the colomn to allow the clutch pedal spring to hook up to.... and it was tough to stretch that spring.... but all this work took me about 4 hrs.... wasnt bad though......
    my 2 cents.....
    RootBreaker

3. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

Jim, I've swapped autos to manuals in a couple different trucks, but they were all the 67-72s. I too have an '88 with the weak 700r4 and wish I could convert. I would deffinately think the nv4500 5-speed would be the way to go, and after looking at some, I don't think the physical swap would be that difficult. The hidden problems are the only reason I have avoided the swap. I think you would have to research the input shaft for the t/c and see if auto or manual were the same. Also, I was curious about the status of the main ECM and whether it had any control of the trans/motor as a whole. Other wise, the holes for all your pedal assemblies and shifter are already stamped in the sheet metal. Hope this has been a help, and feel free to email me.

Why buy it if you can build it better?
    All Give Some. Some gave all. God bless the fallen Brothers in the FDNY.

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Is the 5 speed better than the 3 speed wiht creaper? I thought about going 5 speed. also if I went with a divorced t-case could I put a 6 speed in? would it hold up to abuse????
    just curious if you have any knowledge on this subject....

1978 Chevy 3/4 - 14" leafs -dana 44w/4.56's -14 bolt corp w/4.56's on 40x17x16.5 Ground Hawgs on 16.5x12 steel rims-NP205&SMC465

5. lt1yj

lt1yj 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine just swapped his 700R4 for an NV4500 that I had in my Jeep. He bought the pedal assembly brackets that go over the steering column from a local yard for $55. He got the clutch master cylinder with it.

The transfer case is physically the same but the 700 has a 27 spline shaft and the nv4500 has a 32 spline shaft. He picked up the 32 spline shaft from National Drivetrain in Chicago used for $75. It takes about 2 hours to swap the input shaft because it's the first part in the T case other than the ring gear. He bought a stock bellhousing, flywheel, clutch, hydraulic throwout bearing, hose, floor plate, boot and shift lever from the local GM dealer. I don't know how much these parts cost. It took a week including getting the driveshafts modified.

The ECM on the '88 does not control the transmission at all. The control is via a TV cable.

I don't think there are too many "hidden" problems with this swap. His was almost bolt in. I don't know for sure but I think he had to redrill the mounting holes for the tranny mount.

I'll let you know in about 6 months though. I'm rounding up parts right now to do the swap on my '92 FS Blazer.

BTW National Drivetrain sells a rebuilt NV4500 outright for $1350 with a warranty. I put a Dodge version in my Jeep 3 years ago and have been very happy with it.

Good luck Jim!