Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

auto trans mated to manual

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Rockblazer, Apr 16, 2000.

1. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok what I am looking for here is information on mating a granny 4 speed to a auto transmission then mate the whole business to a 205. See April 2000 Four Wheeler Tough Truck contestant #61. This set up would be ideal for large tires (44's) as it would act as an underdrive for a underpowered powerplant and I could keep the 4.56 gears. Would also provide an awesome crawl ratio! If anyone knows the individual (Bobby Brown) I would appreciate any information. Or perhaps one of you have done something similiar? What I am wondering is how he coupled the manual to the automatic.

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Do you think a Blazer would be long enough to put all that stuff in? I don't know for sure, but it sounds like that would make your rear driveshaft about 2 inches long. I'd think a modification like that would be tons easier on a longbed pickup.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Rockblazer

Rockblazer 1/2 ton status

Sure the Blazer is long enough. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, but I currently have a 700R4 and a 208. The 208 is extremely long with a 10" tailshaft. I figure scrap the 208 and in it's place, mate the 4 speed to the automatic, then use a 205 for the t-case. My reasoning is simple. I want both the durability of the 205, and I would like a larger selection of gears. The 465 is relatively small and the 205 is about 1/3 the length of my 208. Heck with a 31" drive shaft it's still way long! Like I said though I am only in the planning stages would really like some info first!

"You're right... I don't understand that Jeep thing!"

4. colorado_emt

colorado_emt Registered Member

I can't help but it sounds real sweet. I wish you all the luck in this daring project!!![​IMG]
    Mabey try Advanced Adapters seems like they have alot of odd ball stuff
    <font color=red>Chris</font color=red>
    <font color=blue>79 K-5</font color=blue>
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>EMS RULES</font color=blue>[​IMG]

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Just some other ideas to toss out there... I realize you're going for extreme crawl with the manual + t-case, and you may have seen these, but for folks who aren't willing to tackle the project you're thinking of, these might be fun alternatives for the rest of us ;-) ...

ORD has a NP203+NP205 setup, where they toss the chain drive part of the NP203 and only use the gear reducer part.

ORD's Doubler

And Advance Adapters has their own nuclear t-case, Atlas.

Coupla thoughts about your manual+t-case thing ... can the SM465 take the torque of your auto in low gear? And presumably you'd hafta take off the bellhousing, since you won't have a flywheel ... getting that all to fit under the tunnel could be fun.

Still, if ya do it, we want PICTURES and stuff, cuz that would be one MEAN ass rock crawler ;-)

-- A

'74 K5 Blazer "Tank Grrl"
    '77 Chalet sans Blazer
    and more to come...