Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto Trans Temp Gauge Reccomendations?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Russell, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Hey guys!

I'm planning on a camping trip near the end of the month, and my 77 has been assigned quad hauling duties.

I've got at least 3 rigs to haul (maybe 2 others), using a dual axle home made trailer. Trailer is about 1000 lbs or so, I'd guess each quad is between 300 - 500 lbs, along with a few hundred pounds of gas, or other camping supplies.

Truck has a pretty strong 350, less the water pump making a bit of a rubbing noise, the engine doesn't concern me at all (I'll take a spare water pump, alt, belts, coolant etc with, as always), but I am a bit worried about the 700r4 transmission. The road we take does have a fair number of hills near the end (not all particularly steep) but the rest of the trip is fairly flat and is nice highway.

I know that its generally frowned on to tow in OD, but I'd like to think I'd probally be ok in OD if I installed a temp gauge in my tranny pan, a big cooler, and kept an eye on temps.

The 700r4 is pretty fresh, and has a fair number of performance parts in it (stronger sunshell, kevlar bands / clutches, corvette govenor / servo etc).

What do you guys think? If I'd be ok watching the temp, what kind / brand of gauge would you reccomend?

Russ

2. Russell

Anyone?

Russ

3. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

my buddy has an Autometer trans temp gauge in his 99 yukon and it works fine for him, and im about to get one just like it...

now his and my truck have a 4l60e's, which has a port on the drivers side that perfectly accepts the probe of the gauge. i dont know if the 7004r has the same port

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You know me, Autometer proponent... But I'm sure a cheapie Summit would be fine too...

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

B&M has a kit that I have been using in my truck for the past 4 years or so. It works well. The gauge, sender, pod, and fittings to connect it are about $50. It has worked fine for me sofar.

If you have the money an autometer would be nice but the B&M worked for my budget at the time and has proven to be a good product for me.

As for towing in OD it is questionable. I towed a small Uhaul trailer with my truck from Colorado to Arizona (1000 miles). Some of it in OD. I had 4.56 gears and 32" tires though so my RPM's stayed up to help keep the tranny cool. I did use D in all areas except flat areas. Oddly enough my 700R4 died 3 weeks later. :doah: Coincidence probably but did it help the tranny to tow in OD? Definitly not.

Remember that OD not only drops your engine RPMs by 30% it also slows the fluid pump in your tranny 30%. So now not only are you making the weakest gear of your tranny do more work by adding 3000lbs of trailer to it but you are also reducing your ability to keep the tranny cool.

If your tranny is in good working order and you have a decent tire/gear combo then I might be inclined to tow in OD by ONLY in very flat areas. Otherwise it is D all the way IMHO.

Harley

6. Russell

Thats kind what I needed to hear... I guess I'll just run her in drive, and pay the extra gas money. Not worth buying a new transmission to save 50 bucks on fuel!

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i installed a trans and vac setup in my trailer puller. i have found i have more vac in drive than over drive. and we all know more vac means less load and more milage .