Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Auto trany rebuild

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BLZN4FN, Jun 10, 2006.

1. BLZN4FN

BLZN4FN 1/2 ton status

Dec 19, 2000
    Has anyone rebuilt there 700R4/4L60E trany? I was thinking of getting a how to video and a rebuild manual and trying this my self. Lets here your input on this:laugh:
  2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sep 1, 2001
    I have heard that the 700R4 takes some special tools to rebuild, but with you being able to access tools at your dealer that might not be a problem. A good buddy of mine rebuilt his Th350 and he said it wasn't that bad at all. He said the most important thing is having a good clean work surface, keeping the parts in order as you remove them, and being VERY anal about keeping things clean.

My buddy has told me that I could definitly rebuild the TH400 I have for the K5 if I wanted to but I just don't have the workspace to do it.

Is this for your trail truck? How often does your trail truck get street driven? I personally am going to swap a TH400 in the next time my 700R4 dies. I am done with 700R4's. I am willing to trade the OD and the low first gear for the Brute strength of the TH400. I can have 2 TH400's rebuilt for the same price as 1 700R4. The Th400 should also outlast the 700R4 just because of the strength factor it has. I never street drive my truck so loosing OD doesn't matter anymore.