Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

autocad help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 8, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

At school I am using autoCAD 1998. Is there a program that will turn a .dxf or CAD file into a jpeg, or something I can access without a CAD program?
    I need a image of some stuff for this thing I am making.

2. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

ctrl alt print screen

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, AutoCAD kinda sucks for exporting stuff. I always used to export to FormZ and save things as jpg/tiff from there, cause FormZ will let you save anything in pretty much any format ya want. Is plotting / scanning an option?

j

4. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

if you have access to something that can read eps files then your set. it's the best way to export from autocad to do graphic layouts. go into your plotter settings and make sure adobe postscript lvl 2 is enabled as a plotter.

when you pick that as your plotter you give it a file destination and name and wala. it exports it as a file with no background. So when you open it in photoshop or whatever you have to make sure you add color behind it.

Adjusting the lineweight settings will help too before you plot it that way. A lot of times the lines are hard to see unless you compensate for this.

5. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I'm with the print screen button. Just use that to copy your screen, and paste into a program that'll let you crop (word, paint, whatever). Go from there. Sounds a lot easier than printing and scanning, or using another program.

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks Brian, I will just go that route. Sounds pretty easy.

Jason, what is FormZ is it a program you have? Or did you download it? Sounds simular to what I was thinking of. :confused:
    Plotting and scanning is an option. But we only have a small scanner (letter size paper :crazy: ) so I won't beable to scan anything I print off the plotter.
    thanks.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

FormZ is a 3d modeling program like maya, solid works, 3dstudio max etc etc. You can 2d stuff in it to, but with AutoCAD around there isn't any need. FormZ is cool because you can export any image (wire frame, 2d, 3d, rendered, shaded, whatever you want) at any time to any normal image format (you can do animation too). It can import AutoCAD 3d files and stuff from other 3d programs also. That is how i used it at school, I'd build a full 3d model of whatever I was doing in autoCAD and then import it into FormZ because its easier to light/shade/render/texture than autoCAD is. It has some nifty features in it, including a "hardware wizard" gizmo that builts 3d models of bolts/screws or whatever to your specs complete with the right thread pitch and everything. The newest version of autoCAD probably has something similar, but when I used it it didn't... so if I ever needed those kinds of things I'd export them from FormZ to cad.

anyway, you have to pay for FormZ... but if you use kazaa and junk you could probably find v3.1 which will have everything you need and won't look for a dongle like newer versions do.

j

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks Jason, sounds like quite the neat program to have!

I ended up print screen, then emailing it to myself.
    Thanks for the help everyone.

9. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

if it wasnt mentioned already.

if you have a full version of Adobe Acrobat or licensed copy or whatever (just as long as its not the trial version) you can print as a PDF file, which then you can open and saveas a Jpeg.

10. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't know if I have a full version. But when I went into a site, it said I needed to download it, so I clicked on the link.
    Probably just a minimum version.
    Don't know anything about PDF files though...so I can't go that route.

11. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

if you have Adobe Acrobat, it will come up as one of your printers.
    you pick the Adobe PDF as your printer, pick your viewport to print, it will then que you on where to put the PDF file.

you then can just double click the PDF file you made, go up to the top and click save.

you can save them as quite a few different types of files.

or if you want, you can email the drawing to me and i can make it for you.

i do this all the time with subdivisions for marketing.

12. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

just get a program like emule or something and download the software.

if you dont feel safe doing it i will download it and burn it to a cd for a lil cash :D

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Alright thanks. I will see how that works next time I need something. If it doesn't work, I will e-mail you the drawing to help me :)

thanks.