Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

automated traffic lights suck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by rwright07, Jan 1, 2007.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

does anyone else have this problem ever?

on the way home from my girlfriends house there are 3 automated traffic lights that I almost have to go through. late at night it sucks so much cuz theres no one else at them besides me to trigger them so i have to wait 3 sometimes 4 light cycles each before someone pulls up beside me and the light registers someone waiting.... i usually end up running them all

this ever happen to anyone else???

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We get that over here but somehow I think this is Lounge material!

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Sure is...

We have imbedded sensors in the roads at those intersections. You just have to know how far to pull up to get the light to change.

Rene

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

aggravating!..

We have automated traffic lights too--they suck...even if you pull up ,back up,sit still,some refuse to change the light to green!(usually at hours of the day or night, when the roads are deserted!)...but kids here with BB guns usually shoot them out when that happens lately,and the MA DPW has been replacing them frequently, and making sure they work right since that started!..

So--if it wont turn green,just shoot out the red light,and if no one is coming,proceed through the intersection..:rolleyes: ..

Some other traffic "rules" here:

If you are taking a left turn,be sure to park diagonally in the middle of the road,and block all traffic until YOU get to turn!..:doah:

At a traffic light that allows a "right on red"--dont bother stopping if the oncoming cars are more than 10 feet away--just pull right in front of them instead..:mad:

Pass on ANY side you can!!--even use the breakdown lane if you must,that family with a flat tire parked in it up ahead needed to die anyway...:(

Do NOT leave enough space for another car between yours and the one in front of you!--some moron will put HIS/HER car there if you do,even if your going 75+ mph!...:mad:

If you happen to make a stupid manuver in traffic,just look straight ahead,and do NOT put the cell phone down....seeing all the middle fingers,and hearing those blaring horns will only make you self concious...besides,owning a big SUV and a cell phone means YOU own the road too,right??..:doah:

Be sure to drive with your drivers side halfway in the wrong lane,and only swerve to avoid a collision with oncoming traffic at the last possible moment..this keeps the "other guy" on his toes--and his heart in his THROAT!:eek1:

NEVER use directional signals here!..most who do turn the OPPOSITE way the directional indicated!..guess no one knows "right" from "left" here anymore..:(

Oh,and if you happen to see an animal trying to cross the street,be sure to floor it and do your best to hit it!..extra points for endangered species like Turtles,or frogs..birds are the most desireable,hitting one is like winning the lottery--if its a pheasant you get free dinner AND a bonus!..Deer are the hardest to kill, and you usually end up walking home,but can feed a family of 5 for days!...:rolleyes:

:crazy:

5. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yep here too. they just installed one that will change in one direction that you have about 10 sec. to get through it, and it will change back to the main road green again, then you have to wait a minimum of 60 sec. for the secondary road to turn green again, whether there is any traffic or not on the main road.

6. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

We also use a sensor on top of the lights which when you're on a motorcycle is a real pain. Sometimes waving your arms about works......but I only do that when there is no one around:haha: or you wait 'till a car pulls up behind you. If you ride through a red light you get your photo taken!......smile please:D

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Pretty much all of our sensors here are the embedded ones which pick up on heat from your car. The bad thing about them is that when I drive my truck, it is too tall and the sensor never picks up on the heat. Same thing at drive-thru windows, they never register my truck and I have to pull up to the window before they notice me.
    -Harrison

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

As far as i knew it was a magnet that picked up the steel in a car? Heat doesnt make alot of sence...Either way a lifted car will have the same effect..

9. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

The stoplight leaving base doesn't register my K5 at all. If I'm leaving work for lunch at 3 AM, I generally sit at the light until there's no cross traffic then go through the intersection.

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Supposedly magnetic sensors here too...

The lights leaving my work are sensor activated and work about half the time. Normally I turn right, but if I do need to make a left out of there I sometimes jump out and hit the "walk" button...which turns the light immediately.

Rene

11. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

we can tell your from massachusetts haha

i cant talk tho...

tom ford

12. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

only good thing is that in puyallup where i live the cops rake in enough dough giving people rediculous tickets the city doesnt need to put in traffic light cameras to create additional revenue.

13. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

roadside radar "trailers"....

Here in MA,those "radar" trailers with the digital speedometer are becoming quite common..I see 4 or 5 on the way to my sisters house every trip--usually on the same road,but they move it around every few days,to keep motorists from knowing where they are exactly..usually at the top of a hill or after a curve,so you dont see it until your right on top of it...

I hate those things,but they are a nessasary evil I guess..at least I can check my speedometer's acuuracy when I come upon one!..:rolleyes:

I didn't realize SOME of these trailers have a CAMERA in them,and can actually take your picture,and a picture of your licence plates, and the vehicle your driving!--and MAIL you a citation if you were speeding!..:eek1: ..
    I have yet to get one--my 6.2 isn't very speedy,but I have passed a few of them over the limit in my ford, and my moms caravan--lucky they didn't "catch" me!..

One teen aged hot rodder I know,with a Mustang GT, found out the hard way those things see all--he passed one at well over 100 mph,not far from my house!--but the digital readout read only 99 mph!..so the fool turns around,and tries again,well over 100 mph!--it still read 99 mph!..then he figured it out,it only has TWO digits!..a few minutes after he got home,a local cop knocked on his door--told him he was being busted for speeding,driving to endanger,and they towed his car and took the plates off it!..guess a little birdy in that trailer tattles on you if you pass it going 100 mph or more somehow!..:doah: ..you cant get away with NOTHIN no more!...

Glad they didn't have those trailers when I had my 69 GTO!...:wink1: ..

14. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

They tried those in hawaii. We threw such a fit they took them out.

15. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

they've got them here, about 10 county wide, but only ONE has a camera...the one 2 counties over got shot 3 times with a 30.06, too bad for the guy the film was not damaged lol...nothing

16. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

they've got them here, about 10 county wide, but only ONE has a camera...the one 2 counties over got shot 3 times with a 30.06, too bad for the guy the film was not damaged lol...nothing like an arrest for destruction of city property...

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Bronson and whites?

18. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

just dont run a front liscnce plate:crazy:

I know your supposed to but i havent in 3 years and no ones bothered me yet:crazy::rolleyes:

19. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Traffic lights?