Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

automatic choke?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by st08x, Nov 9, 2002.

1. st08x

st08x Registered Member

i got and elebrok carb that i have had for a while now but for some reason in the mornings it has some trouble. i go to start it and even though its cold it still starts up immiediately with a little touch of the gas be for i crank it up. then it starts up fine and idles nice and smooth for about 30 sec and then starts lowing and coughing and idleing bad and so i have to stay out there and keep my foot on the gas to make it idle higher manually, does anyone know how to adjust this. need help it gets colder by the day.

2. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

personally i would junk that electric choke and get yourself a manual choke kit fer 15-20$, but there are ways to adjust it, some have fail safes so you can adjust them all day and not screw up anythinge, good luck. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you still running your factory air cleaner? If so, does the stovepipe still run from the passenger side exhaust manifold to the thermac valve in the neck of the air cleaner assembly? How about all the vacuum lines that connect from the Thermac to the aircleaner?

The whole point of this setup is to provide the carb and intake with warm air during cold start up. If the temp outside gets cold enough, your carb can actually freeze up in the intial few minutes after you start the truck, and the choke plate can stick shut.

Your problem could also be choke-related, but I suggest checking the above stuff first.