Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic gear ratios

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by neverendingproject, Aug 24, 2006.

1. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Does the torque converter multiply gear ratios as well at torque before it reaches lock up?

At low rpm, would the 2.48 ratio be more like 4 something, or does it not work that way?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

the basic concept of a convertor is put a fan in front of a nother face to face. plug one in. watch how it will spin the other fan over time. this is how a convertor works.

so to answer your question no it wont.

3. neverendingproject

So I only get more torque because its not a direct connection? I guess if you get more torque, then you dont need the lower gears huh?

4. bigblock72

bigblock72 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The torque converter will in fact multiply torque, most converters will almost double the torque at full stall, the less the converter slips the less torque multiplication takes place. It's hard to explain how this happens without pictures but basicly (and very oversimplified) there is a third set of blades between the turbine and the pump inside the converter that redirects the fluid and keeps the fluid from bouncing off the pump blades and and hitting the turbine blades in the opposite direction and causing drag. Instead it bounces off the the stator blades which redirects the fluid the correct direction and gives it a second push and this is where the torque multiplication effect comes from. So long story short stator turns a fluid coupling (very inefficient) into a torque converter that multiplies torque during slippage.
    I'm sure I lost you a by the second line, just run a google and learn all you want.

5. neverendingproject

No, I read up on it a bit, but if I plug my 2.48 first gear into the mix, I have a sucky crawl ratio, but i know that there isnt a direct connection, so I didnt know if somehow it got a little when it stalls or slush boxes just are gonna suck period.

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The crawl ratio on paper looks sucky , but I have video of wheeling with 33's and 3.08 gears that contradicts it .

The converter works great at low rpm for crawling .

7. DEMON44

DEMON44 Low-Tech Redneck

This all true. A converter does multiply torque.

for instance, some of the converters on heavy equipment, such as articulating wheel loaders and scrapers. often have multiple turbines and stators for increased multiplication. with these types of power shift transmissions there is no lockup on the converter and the stators are fixed.

8. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I think the general rule for autos is about half the final crawl ratio than what you would want for a stick.