Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic Hubs vs. Manual Hubs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by gator688, Feb 19, 2007.

1. gator688

gator688 Registered Member

Alright got my 87 K5 back today with a 6 inch lift installed and the lift guy said that the noise I am hearing from the front axle is because of the auto hubs, so my question is how hard is it to change to manual hubs and what are the pro's and con's of this swap?

10 bolt axles-28 spline I think?

2. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

E-Z swap. 1 hour, MAX, if your good with basic tools. The snap rings can be tricky sometimes, tho. DO IT! The auto hubs SUCK! :waytogo:

3. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Auto hubs are designed for if you need 4wd coming down a slightly muddy gravel driveway after a decent rain storm... and thats when they are new and in good working shape.

Switch to manuals, they are much better because you are completely in 4wd, or you aren't....

4. bigblazer87

bigblazer87 1/2 ton status

5. gator688

where can I find out what spline count or is it just a standered number on all 10 bolts?

6. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

7. gator688

thanks didnt think of that

8. MattK

MattK 1/2 ton status

should be the same part # for all 10 bolts. 28 or 30 spline only refers to the inner shaft splines. both are 19 spline outer.

9. bodacious

bodacious 1/2 ton status

I've heard people say that they like autos because they don't have to get out in the mud and lock the hubs. To them I say, "LOCK EM IN WHEN YOU GET OFF THE PAVEMENT". This way, if you need 4x, just grab the t-case lever, if you don't, unlock em when you get back to the pavement. It takes all of about 30 seconds to lock/unlock both hubs. Less if it's cold.:D As stated earlier, with locking hubs you know when your in 4x and when your not. With autos, it's a guess till your front end spins, or you're stuck.;)

10. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

I ditched my auto hubs in favor of Warn standard lockouts. Install was a breeze.

11. gator688

could that be the noise coming from the front or should I be looking for something else? It only does it when I let off the pedal, could it just be a bad driveline angle?

12. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

With manual hubs - I know what peope are talking about. Getting all the way out and walking all the way to the front axle can be a real hassle and could take hours. :screwy:

Automatic hubs - Hope they work when you need them. :dunno: If not, stay in the truck until someone comes to the rescue. I've pulled a couple of people out b/c the auto hubs didn't engage.

Auto hubs are OK for DD trucks in adverse conditions on public roads. I wouldn't rely on them when offroad.

Manual hubs all the way.

13. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Another thing, if you aren't running a big lift and are in and out of 4wd all the time (like a rancher or farmer say) then just leave 'em locked! Long as you aren't getting a bunch of vibrations from bad joints or too much angle, it doesn't hurt to just leave them in.

I leave mine locked most of the time in my K5, as I mostly use it around the farm on and off the pavement.

14. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

here is a step by step with pics http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168847

15. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i was so totally gonna link that.

16. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

17. Dudge

Dudge 1/2 ton status

It could be where the noise is coming from. The first night I took my truck out I blew one of the stock hubs. In the parking lot of a gas station no less. Lol I pulled into the pumps and hit a very very small bump and it popped like crazy. I thought I had broke an axle Lol The stock auto's were in rough shape. I drove it home and got a set of lockouts the next day.

18. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Manual hubs-

KNOW your locked, as stated
    Able to do 2 low, if you keep the hubs unlocked.
    More options using a spool, unlock one hub to turn.. or go 3WD to make a fun out of a smaller rig.

Downside, gotta get outside in the heat/cold/mud/snow, if you ever need it in emergency situation you cant just pop it in 4WD, gotta get out in possibly unsafe territory or no time.. (For example, chasing down a hit n run, or like in the movie Volcano.) Plus you car theives have to get out to lock the hubs if you want to out-run the police offroad =P (A plus, as long as your not the theif)

Auto hubs
    Opposite of what i just said about manuals.. hoping will lock, cant use 2 low, less options for spools. Can pop in 4wd on icey roads etc.

My opinion - Automatic for daily driver/emergency vehicle, manual for trailrig/secondary vehicle.

19. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I can change hubs in an hour with a 45 minute nap included.:D Seriously....changing the hubs is cake. The snap rings are really easy if you have a basic set of dental picks. Manual hubs are a lot better than auto's. Just remember to put a lot of grease back in when you install the new hubs (holds off mud water from penetrating as long as possible).
    -Harrison

20. burbanbeast

burbanbeast 1/2 ton status

yeh ill say from experience i like the warn manuals so so much better than i did the auto lockouts. and someone said it earlier but if you dont wanna risk gettin out in the mud or water or whatever to lock them just lock em as soon as you drop off the pavement