Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic Hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by nofeartruckin00, Oct 5, 2001.

1. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

I've got a '91 Jimmy, and my automatic hubs are gonna go. I am buying warn manual locking hubs probably this weekend some time, but then i saw a conversion kit. Do i need this conversion kit to swap in the manuals for the automatics? Or will the manuals go right in without the kit?
    Thanks,
    Tony

Mud, the ultimate paint job

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

No you dont need the conversion kit. The conversion kit is for rigs with full time 4x4.All you need to do is just pull the old hubs and instal the manuals.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

3. nofeartruckin00

Ok, i ordered a set of premium manuals from warn, and i should be getting them on monday. Can anyone give me an idea of what im going to be getting into? Ive heard that it should only take an hour for both sides, but what exactly do i have to remove and put back in?

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Took me 5 miutes per side.

Here's what you do...

1. Remove the 6(?) screws that hold the hub in place.
    2. You will find a clip holding the ends of the retainer ring in the hub assembly. Remove this clip thingy and then, using needle nose pliers, remove the big retainer from the hub housing.
    3. Now, I can't rmember at this point. But there is a retaining ring in the axle shaft itself. You will need retainer pliers to get it out (or it makes it easier). I can't recall off the top of my head if you remove that then pull out the hub gear assembly or vice versa. But you will see it.

Now you should have nothing showing but the spindle nuts, the threaded spindle, and the axleshaft.

Now for assembly....

1. Clean any grease out of the hub splines as it will interfere with the warn assembly.
    2. Insert the Warn gear assembly.
    3. Insert the new retaining ring from Warn that pops into the hub itself. I highly recommend bending the ends of this ring. It will make later removal much easier.
    4. Make sure the outer hub is unlocked and screw it onto the hub using the screws provided.

Voila. You are done. Take you more than 15 minutes per side and your are probably doing something wrong.

BTW, after I first installed mine, I tried to lock the hubs. They were very difficult to spin after they made it to about 2/3 locked. And they didn't "pop" locked like they did unlocked. But don't worry, this is normal. After a little use, they lock and unlock freely now. And, if they don't pop locked, they do as soon as the vehicles begins to move.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

5. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

quote:"clean the grease out of the hub splines...."

Better leave some grease in there. If you don't they are going to be a real bear to remove next time. I know Warn says you don't need any extra grease but if you ever drive through water this ain't the case. Better yet, replace the grease with anti-seize.

Still Poundin' "pavment" after all these years!!! [​IMG]

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

tx85GMCguy,

Very good post. I'd also like to add:

MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF THOSE WORTHLESS AUTOMATIC HUBS. I've taken apart some really weird combos of snap rings in there. All you need is the big one that holds in the hub assembly.

And yes, make sure you bend those snap rings or they're a nightmare to remove. I thought I was the only one who'd come up with that idea (after spending up to 45 mintues picking that damn ring out before).

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

7. hammer

hammer 1/2 ton status

took me 1/2 hour first one ,5 min 2nd one I had to put a jack under it to change them. Guy at parts store told me that. Only releave the presure off the wheel and hub DON'T JACK IT UP

8. TXBIGFISH

TXBIGFISH 1/2 ton status

Hey, I'm glad you posted this, this is the same project I'm ganna tackle tomorrow, afer I hit 4 wheel parts in the morning! I will definately feep this for reference!
    I am glad to see a place where the others on the site do not belittle some one for being a "newbie", joking around is OK, being down right mean is not coo at all!
    Later

&lt;*)))&gt;&lt;

81" GMC Jimmy.............stock for now!
    I see a 6 inch lift in the near future!

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It only took me about 10 minutes to do the automatic to manual conversion, and it was one of the best things I've ever done to my truck IMO.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

TXBIGFISH
    Hey we like newbie's here.We welcome everyone's questions Thats what makes CK5 the greatest site on the net.
    You may get slamed if you sell your K5. But never for asking questions about making a great truck even better.
    Good luck in your hub change. Its really an easy job. if you run into problems just post. Someone will help.

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Thunders-Blaze</a>
    <font color=blue>NEVADA: Where the pavement ends, and the West begins.</font color=blue>

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Wasn't that long ago that I was a NEWBIE. I am just glad I can offer assistance. Its always neat to have someone ask a question about something you, too, have done. You can then tell them what they need to know and sound like an expert! LOL! You will always be a newbie until you try things yourself. Then, you, too, can help those on the path behind you! But we should never forget that we once forged along that same path ourselves!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

12. nofeartruckin00

Thanks alot for you help everyone! Only one last question that kinda got answered, do i jack up the front end and just barley leave the tires on the ground, or dont jack it up at all? Thanks again!

13. Rob 85K5

Rob 85K5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

You can get a cheap set of picks at any parts store for bucks. It only takes a few seconds to pull the hub ring with them, and they come in handy for other things.
    If you look at the ends of the ring on is angled toward the hub and on away. Hold your allen wrench against the end angled towards the hub and pull the other end up and out with the pick.

Rob 85K5

<font color=orange>Bleedin' Chevy Orange</font color=orange>

14. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you jack it up, leave the tire on the ground. I never jacked mine up, though. Hell, didn't even move it into the driveway! Did it in the street next to the curb!

Brian

15. nofeartruckin00

Thanks very much everyone! Got the hubs in, took maybe 25 mintues total. Found a busted bearing in both of the automatics (probably why i had a problem getting into and out of 4 wheel) Just wanted to say thanks!