Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

automatic hubs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 83k5dano, May 16, 2002.

1. 83k5dano

83k5dano Newbie

My stock automatic locking hubs are not unlocking like they used to. Is there any way to rebuild these, or should I just put manual hubs on? What brand of manual hubs are the best?

2. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

It's an easy change to manuals and the only about $65-$95 /pair. Most people here will say warn hubs are the best. The auto hubs are not worth the trouble in my opinion.

3. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Warn Premium hubs.. Really easy install,and they have a good warranty.

4. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, go manul hubs. Manufacturer is your choice.

Just unbolt the autos and bolt on the manuals. REAL simple.

Ken H.

5. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I would have to jump on board and say replace them with manuals. As far as brand, I can only speak for the Warn premiums. I have been pleased with mine. I did have one chew up on me, but Warn replaced it free-of-charge, no questions asked.

6. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I use superwinch manual hubs. The only reason is they have a lifetime warranty and you can warranty them out at any shop that carries them, you dont have to wait for the manufacture to send you a new set.

Dan

7. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I got Superwinch too.... they are good quality and I like them a lot....

8. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I must be lucky. Been using the auto hubs for rock crawling, driving on beach and gereral off road use for 14 years and never had a lick of problems. I do repack the bearings every year weather they need it or not. When it snows here, I just put it in 4by and away I go. We have an M1009 (Blazer) on another base that is also an 84 w/auto hubs and they run the hell out of it and it's still going! That vehicle is used daily on the target range and is always in 4by. Some are lucky and others....

9. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

I took my automatics off and went to manuals.

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

When my auto hubs gave me troubles I went with manual Superwinch hubs. Been running them about 3 years now with no problems. I like the lifetime warentee and the fact I can take them back Checker Auto if I ever have problems and get a new set.
    They are a pretty good hub, but they can break if you have a locker in the front and are running big tires.

11. Blue Meanie

Blue Meanie Registered Member

i say go manual. i perfer warn, but then again it isn't my vehicle. if you want to test them both out, put one of each on each side and see which one breaks first. LOL have fun

12. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I never had a problem with mine, just didn't like "how" they operate. For example, I had a friend who was just leaving the pavement and hitting the parking lot for an off-road run. As soon as he left the pavement, he hit some bad sand and was stuck. He put it in 4WD, but the front axle would have to turn some before the hubs would ever engage. With manuals, you don't have that problem. You turn them, they are engaged.

Secondly, how would you know if your hub wasn't engaging or not? If you are open diff'd up front, as most are, it would be difficult to even tell if you were having a problem. Like I said, I went manuals so that I KNOW I am locked and never have a question about it. In addition, there are a great deal fewer parts with the manuals. They are so much easier to remove when doing front end work than the old autos.

13. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

are these things easy to put in, gotta 87 stock and thinkin bout runnin manuals, never even messed with an axel AT ALL and when i take the auto off will like a million bajillion parts go a-flyin, anyone know a "how to" website or anything? thanx\

Brett

14. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

get a chilton manual or haynes i like chilton . anyways they have a good xploded diagram in there . naw there arent to many pieces , none should go flying . id have to find time but i could take some pics of mine taken apart <warn prems>