Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic or Manual

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 85posjimmy, Apr 27, 2004.

1. 85posjimmy

85posjimmy Registered Member

i am considering pulling my Automatic and 208 transfer case in my 85 jimmy, and droping in a manual and a np 205 transfer case. is it a good idea? and also which is better for 4 wheelen auto or manual. Marcus

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Its all personal preference. You can get away with higher gears with an auto if you are on a budget. There is also less pedals to play with. With a stick you don't need a cooler and such, but do need to replace the clutch sometimes. You could put a throttle cable on the shifter to make it easier off road. What do you feel comfortable with? /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

tranny is up to you. You'll probably see a 75-25 split on people picking the manual.

1) I just don't like the idea with an auto and having it burn up on the trail..
    2) Plus if your starter craps out with an auto you're a sitting duck.
    3) 6.55 to 1 granny

4. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I can't believe there's another one of these posts already! It hasn't even been a week /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

Manual and the 205 would be my suggestion /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

its a matter of personal prefrence really. the manual and 205 will definitely be stronger, but do you really want to have to mess with shifting gears all the time? if you dont mind that, then manual all the way!

6. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

For me, it's:
    Manual for TowRig
    Auto for TrailRig...
    But that's just me.
    Boss

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Like they said up there it's all about personal preference. I perfer a manual for a daily driver. But for my project blazer I will be putting a strong automatic in if the TH350 is in bad condition. If you don't mind shifting then use a manual. But if you do alot of wheeling, then auto so you can concentrate more on driving, then shifting /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im with you 100%. Im too busy clenching the seat coushin in my butt to deal with shifting. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    For me, it's:
    Manual for TowRig
    Auto for TrailRig...
    But that's just me.
    Boss

[/ QUOTE ]

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Just about every rig that I'm keeping is a manual. If it was and auto when I got it, it probably has a 465/205 now.

My latest '84 K5 has a TH350/205 in it. After driving it, I told myself I'd leave it an auto cause it was so simple to drive etc... The latest plan for it is to yank it out and put a 465/205 in it too. I guess when it comes down to it, I don't care anymore about the "easiness"... I just like manuals.

10. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Hey marcus, I say go for it. I like my sm465 on the trail because I feel like i have more control. You don't live in a very big town so you don't have the pain in the but of driving through traffic with it. The 205 is supposedly the toughest of the transfer cases, but you do lose lower gear ratio switching from the 208. I say you should do it, it is a worthy upgrade for the time. I guess I will be helping you out soon /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I don't know what it is about automatics. I've had my truck for four years now and when I got it, it was an auto. When I swapped in the 465, I became so hooked on manuals I can't stand to drive autos anymore.

My tow rig is a TH 400. If I was going to have an automatic, the TH 400 is the only one I'd consider.

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i am considering pulling my Automatic and 208 transfer case in my 85 jimmy, and droping in a manual and a np 205 transfer case. is it a good idea? and also which is better for 4 wheelen auto or manual. Marcus

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif You will soon be addicted. Glad you joined marcus /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 85posjimmy

thanks for your input. i apreciate it. marcus /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

14. 85posjimmy

jeff mabey you will help me i guess it will all depend when i get it all cleaned and if you can come up to help me. marcus

15. 85posjimmy

yea your right most people perfer man. so thats what i'm goin with marcus

16. 85posjimmy

sorry i'm a new member i didn't know that someone had posted this same question a weekago. but thanks for the advice.

17. 85posjimmy

stronger is better i always say. marcus

18. 85posjimmy

thanks marcus

19. b55baron

b55baron Registered Member

I plan on swapping a manual into my '89. I did the swap 20+ years ago (getting to be an old fart) in a '73 Z-28 I had. It makes it more fun to drive. I have an '03 Sierra with the 6-speed manual in it now and love it. Once you get used to shifting, it's second nature.

20. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    sorry i'm a new member i didn't know that someone had posted this same question a weekago. but thanks for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was just joking around, I saw you were a new member but couldn't resist the urge to bust some stones. I'm glad to see you joined the crew... I hope you don't like your fat bank account too much. CK5 drains that quick /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif Then it moves on to your sheet-metal /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif