Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic, pros and cons of each?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Nov 16, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Ok I'm evil but I'm thinking I should just replace my 465 with an auto. especially if I do an S10 rebody. My question is, which auto? I don't need overdrive its not my daily driver, but the lower first on a 700R4 may be nice. Would a TH350 hold up? I have a few of those sitting around but they are 2wd so I would have to convert them. I would likely go to a doubler if I go automatic(4.10s and 39s). I don't have a big horse motor, just a 350 with headers, carb, intake, little head work, and RV cam, I plan to run 39s.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

3. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Time to dig that can of worms pic back up /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif.

4. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

My TH350 has held up fine to my built 454 and 40" tires. I did end up cracking the case after two years but I didnt have the transfer case braced up very well.

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i like my 700r4. nice 1st gear, and, of course, OD. OD is very cool to have if your rig is like mine and wont probably be trailored to wheelin sites once in its life. I gotta go on the highway. OD allows me to have low gears in the pumpkins and still have decent RPMs.

a well built 700R4 with a BIG cooler + deep pan + temp guage is a good 4x4 tranny setup.

if my rig was offroad only, I'd prolly go with a TH400... they are stronger.. but no OD makes it a "aint gonna happen" for my application.

j

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We just did this whole manual versus auto thing...pay attention dude. Most of us get sick of re-hashing stuff, especially when it was a long thread only a few days ago.

Rene

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I did check that thread out and commented about my manual in there and thoughts about going automatic I was asking about the specific autos, 400/350/700r4 and durability of each.

8. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

simple question with a simple answer. In order of durability...

1) TH400
    2) TH350
    2) newer TH700R4
    3) old pre-87(?) 700R4

Im not a tranny tech but AFAIK the th350 isnt any stronger (or weaker) in strength to the newer 700s... pretty much the same with a OD tossed in.

j