Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic to Manual Hub Conversion Kit

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by fwc, Sep 30, 2004.

1. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

91 Jimmy with stock drivetrain. I am going to replace my stock auto hubs with either Warn or Mile Marker manual hubs. Warns website says that I need an Automatic to Manual Hub Conversion Kit. Do I need this? What does it do? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

No you don't need it. I'm not sure what it does. I put Warn Premiums in years ago on my 89 so bare with me. I believe there's a washer next to the outer locknut that you throw away and then there's a small snap ring that goes outside of that (keep the snap ring). The reason for not using the washer is because the Warn hub will stick out a little too far with it in there. Just take out your auto hub, put in the Warn hub and then put the snap ring on the outermost groove of the axle stub. Should take you about 15 mins per side if you're slow.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

They will just go on fine . I have a 83 and 89 front at home , and either one will accept my warn premiums no problem /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

me too i did the change before i got my 60 and it was easy i did it in the dark at my buddies house /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. fwc

fwc Registered Member Premium Member

thanks for all of the info. any one want to argue for or against the warn vs mile marker?

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

i like warn thats all ill buy /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. opfor2

opfor2 1/2 ton status

I put the warn premiums on ny 90 blazer and u don't need any other kits. Just pull the autos out and replace them w/the manuals. They work great and I've never had any problems with them.

Dan..

8. mrbill

mrbill 1/2 ton status

Wow!!! What timeing. Just went throught this change over today and that little washer drove me crazy... finaly decided it had to go!! Then things worked just fine. It seemed too easy. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Thanks

9. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I have the Warn hubs on my Blazer and the MileMarker hubs on my '56. I like them both as long as they are the premium hubs. I did need new bolts for the Warns a couple of years ago and Warn sent them to me for free. I'm not too sure about the MileMarker customer service since I've never had a problem with them. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

10. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

just out of curiosity...why change the hubs? I've had no trouble with my '91 auto ones. Is there something I should know about?!!

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

They're weaker than manual hubs and more prone to something going wrong because of all the internals.

There's a chance they won't engage when you need them most.

There's a chance they won't unlock when you want them to.

Overall, if you don't hammer it offroad much, they should be fine. When they do break or fail to work, though, replace them with manual hubs.

12. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif