Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

automatic to manual swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by indyrenegade4x4, Mar 20, 2006.

1. indyrenegade4x4

indyrenegade4x4 Registered Member

I have a 74 4x4 3/4T with sm465/np205. The cab is in very bad shape. I have a friend who has a 77 cab (automatic) in very good shape. What is involved in making the automatic into a manual? Should there be brackets under the dash for a clutch pedal to mount?

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

swap pedals..

The brake pedal unbolts from the firewall ,all you'd need to do is remove the automatic pedal cluster and swap it for the manual cluster out of the donor truck..--the cabs are all set up the same, so either an automatic or manual tranny can be used...its a pain to get at the bolts,but nothing worthwhile is ever easy..:crazy:

3. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Tell me about the bolts being a pain. That's what I done today. They are put in a fun spot on the firewall behind the booster. But after awhile using a swival extension...
    [​IMG]

4. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

For me the worst part was switching the column and pedals. You will have to make a hole in the firewall for the rod on the clutch pedal. It took me one day to do the entire swap.

5. indyrenegade4x4

indyrenegade4x4 Registered Member

The 74 I have was an automatic at one time. The reason I can tell is the brake pedal is the long automatic style. I am going to go check it out and see what it looks like. In using a 2wd cab I heard you would need a body lift to clear the floor hump. Is that true?

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

7. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

Just realized that the rod from the brake booster to the padel slides on over a stud right. Well the standard padel assembly has a bigger stud. Luckly the rod can unscrew with a wrench and a screwdriver and then I widen the hole. Just to let anyone know to check before hand. Hard to do anything on your back in the floor.