Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic to Manual Transmission Conversion

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bitchin4x4, Aug 29, 2001.

1. bitchin4x4

bitchin4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, I am tired of searching the boards now!! [​IMG]

I am trying to find information on conversion from a automatic transmission to a manual.

Such as what is the most cost effective way of converting?

Where is the best place to find the parts needed? Do I buy a vehicle with all the parts and grab what I need an scrap it or do I go find all the parts individually?

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

If it ain't broke, break it!

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Your best bet is to get everything from a truck that has a manual in it. If you find one cheap then but the whole truck. It is alot of work to switch over to a manual. You have to get the pedal assembly, clutch linkage, and tranny crossmember. The hardest part is setting up the pedals, and adjusting the linkage. Thats put it this way, it extremly easy to convert to an automatice, but a big pain in the butt to convert to a manual.

86 Jimmy 4"lift 35"MTRs Other cars 69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. bitchin4x4

Actually I haved done a conversion from manual to automatic in a car before and it was rather simple... ;-)

Thanks for the info!

Now I guess my next question is what vehicle would have the setup I need. Should I stick to models of trucks around the 72 year or will 77 truck model work?

I was also thinking I should get a vehicle with a big block in it so I would have all the parts to convert from the small block also?

Thanks for your help

If it ain't broke, break it!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by bitchin4x4 on 08/30/01 08:22 AM.</FONT></P>

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

If I was doing this type of conversion I would totaly look into a hydrolic cluch setup. Our first gens use the engine block and frame to retain the Z-bar and that is a weak spot.I have already cracked one of them(next to a weld). Getting rid of all that linkage would be cool. I have hear of converting a manual linkage to a hydrolic so.....
    Good Luck

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

5. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I hadn't realized that it was necessary to swap crosmembers as well in the trucks. Guess i should have grabbed that with the rest of the stuff..oops.

Chris =)

I think the exhaust fumes have finally gotten to me!!

6. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

I might have one (cross member) at home still. It was out of a 1976 K20 that had the SM465 and NP 205 combo in it. Let me look tonight and I will let you know tonight or tomorrow sometime. Let me know if this is the one needed.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

7. bitchin4x4

Anyone know off hand where I would find a nv4500 out of?

If it ain't broke, break it!

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I think Steve Chin has one of thoes in his K5. He should be out here soon...

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

9. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I dunno if this would work right or noit being that I have a 69 and that is a 76 right. Hmmm, anybody know if it is a bolt in affair?

Chris =)

10. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

When I check tonight I will make sure that it fits my K5 (I have a 1970 same as your 69). So I will let you know tomorrow if #1. I have it and #2 if it fits first Gen. Blazers.

See Ya,
    Keith

[​IMG] <font color=green>Born to Drive My K5</font color=green> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/californiak5>CaliforniaK5's Pictures</a>

11. k5blazerus

k5blazerus 1/2 ton status

I so happen to have a 69 chevy parts truck that had a manual in it and I thought i wanted to go to a manual with a divorced t-case but I am sticking to the auto because I play in mudd and there is no need for me to have a low first gear to play in the mudd.
    I have the whole clutch pedal, brake pedal, gas pedal clutch linkages. adjusting rod bellhousing crossmember clutch forkand some other stuff for the conversion just need to take it off the truck. If your interested P.m. I also have the bell housing tooand a 2wd np435 with low first gear. Id would de willing to trade for a dana 44 8lug with 4:10 or a good condition th350 transmission to 205.. make offer on the parts .
    colin Quinn

IF its not broke , break it and upgrade it.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by k5blazerus on 08/31/01 10:22 AM.</FONT></P>

12. POFF

POFF 1/2 ton status

The TH400/SM465 crossmember is identical but it hangs down an inch more than the TH350 crossmember. You can put 1" spacers between the frame and crossmember to drop it down an inch. My friends Blazer has this and it's fine.

'70 K-20 San Diego, CA

13. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

Oh sweet so I can just space it down an inch and be fine huh. Cool.

Chris =)