Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic transmision

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kristoffer, Jun 25, 2001.

1. kristoffer

kristoffer Registered Member

i have a 77blazer k5.

the automatic transmission dont hold the 3 gear.

any tips???

i think i am going to replace it, do i need to drop down the t-case?

and do the enegine fall a little down when i take off the automatic transmission?

Sorry for my Bad english,

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

2. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

What transmssion do you have? Th 350, 400. 700R4? What are we talking here? One thing for sure, you will have to block up your engine when you pull the tranny. Not knowing what you have, it is hard to know what transfer case you have and how heavy it is. If it is a 203(full time 4-wheel drive) it is a very heavy unit and you really need to support it when you pull what is usually a th350 tranny out. It is usually easier to pull the tranny and transfer case at the same time if you have enough jack to hold them up. Be careful when dropping these out---they are heavy!! You will need to drop your torque converter pan, unbolt the torque plate from the torque converter, take the tv cable loose at the carb. Disconnect the trans cooling lines and speedo cable. Get all of the drive shafts taken off the transfer case. Get your jacks under the motor and the tranny, or at least pull the distributor cap so when the back of the motor comes down it doesn't break it. Unbolt the bell housing from the motor, then your crossmember---this is when it gets HEAVY. Do it very slowly and make sure you don't have anythin--wires, etc hanging on the tranny, etc. You will probably have to pull your tranny dipstick tube also before doing this!! Let the tranny and transfer case down slowly and roll it out from under your truck. Sounds hard but after a few, you learn a few shortcuts and then it is easier. I may have left out a few steps out such as disconnecting your shifter from the tranny, etc. When you get into it you will see things that need to be removed and things to be moved to get the unit out. Do the best you can--that is what we all do. Good Luck!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

3. WOODYJ

WOODYJ 1/2 ton status

Kristoffer,
    I didn't realize you were from Norway. I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Most '77 CK5's were 350 or 400 cubic inch motors with a TH 350 Transmission back of that with full time 4 Wheel drive New Process 203 Transfer cases. The NP 203 Transfer case is very heavy, but it is still easier to pull Transmission and Transfer case at the same time. Just be careful and make sure you have enough jacks or whatever to support the tranny and transfer case together. Good Luck!! Be sure and let me know how you do!!

k5woody I Don't Understand The Jeep Thing Either!!!

4. kristoffer

77blazer k5 350, th350, np203

its sounds like its heavy work....

I dont want to replace it!!!!!!!! but i think i have to!

this is wats wrong with the automatic transmission:

it will not go into 3gear when its a warm.
    but if i am driving an take it in "N" and then back to "D" its somtimes goes in 3gear for a little while if i have the gasspedal almost all the way inn, but if i take my foot of the gas it falls down.
    and in the morning when i starts the truck and drive to work it works just fine for about 10 minutes before it slips down in 2gear.

i have changed the vacum ting on the automatic transmission and tryed to adjust it. and i have changed the oil and the filter, and installed a heavy duty cooler.
    but with no luck!!!!!

i think maybe the problem was starting when i puted on my 35 tires....??!

sorry for my bad english
    kristoffer

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Heres 1 more thing to check: Make sure that the vacume line that goes to the vacume modulator( "vacume ting") does not have any cracks or holes in it. The line should also be hooked up to a good source of vacume on the intake manifold. A bad vacume modulator or not enough vacume will not allow the transmition to go in to 3rd gear.

PS. No apology necessary for bad english around here. .Its great to have people from other countries posting. Good Luck.

<font color=orange>GOT HORSEPOWER?

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

SOunds like it has been over heated. Do you have a AUX cooler? Have you tried changing the fluid?
    Good news is if your handy it can be rebuilt by yourself. Parts total including a rebuilt converter is $125 US.
    I would not try to remove a 203 and a tranny together. too much weight. Build a Jig that will cradle the case and BOLT to the jack. Be very carefull to get the weight centered on the jack.
    Welcome to CK5

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

7. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Just a thought, but if he had 3.08 gearing or some blazers came with really high (low numerically) 2.7? and 35" tires, between the low rpms, low manifold vacuum (from engine working hard to turn the meats), and thinner fluid as it warms up. This may be "normal", as in the tranny is doing what it should. It may have been overheated too which doesn't help. I would try to find a set of 31" tires or smaller (maybe a friends) to try and see if the tranny shifts ok. If it does, I would say it's time to get smaller tires or re-gear the differentials.

If you didn't built it yourself, how can you call it yours.......?

8. kristoffer

yeasterday i tried with 31" tires did not help, i have checked the vacum lines and they are ok.
    and i have changed the filter and the oil.
    BUT:
    it has been overheated 3times when i pulled a big boat,
    what can be damaged?

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Everything! Heat is what destroys automatic transmissions! Time for a rebuild.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

10. kristoffer

So, what kind of rebuild?

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene

11. kristoffer

I GOT i out at least!!!
    but i broke 1 finger, i was going to pull the np203 it sliped and landen on my hand. AND THAT TING IS F.... HEAVY!!
    and the automatic transmission was a little harder to pull with 1 broken finger! :)

Thank you for all the help!!!
    Think i need some help when i am going to put it all together again!

Kristoffer
    1977 blazer k5 cheyene