Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic Transmission Problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by eshorvath, Oct 9, 2003.

1. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

Well, this is not on my Blazer, but my ex-wife called to say her car is lunging, and not shifting right. When she opened the hood, ATF was bubbling out of the dip stick tube. She said she pulled it out, and replaced it and the car started working ok. What causes this. I believe it is a bad trans filter, anyone have any suggestions??

2. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check fluid level when hot. Overfull trannys will foam and spew fluid. If its a Chrysler it'll need to be checked in neutral not park.
    A clogged vent will cause it to spew tranny fluid out the dipstick. have someone blow some compressed air down the dipstick tube while you check and see that it is venting by trying to feel around on top of the tranny where the vent should be blowing air out?

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

sounds like a clogged filter

4. eshorvath

eshorvath 1/2 ton status

I am thinking it sounds like a clogged filter too, but this my EX, and I dont want to put money into a filter if there may be some other cause. Any way to know for sure?
    Eddie