Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic transmission questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ugly_blazer, Jun 12, 2004.

1. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

I have a few questions about automatic tranmissions. The first is fairly simple, I was looking in a Summit catalog at torque converters, and both the th350 and th400 are listed under the same part number. I am guessing that the converter from my th400 will work in my th350?

I have a th350 that broke while being abused. One of the shafts where the torque converter goes seems to be the bad part. It is the smaller one that is inside the larger one. When I spin it by hand it spins real easy and makes a grinding noise and sounds nothing like other transmissions that I have. What is this part and can I unbolt the front of another transmission and put in there and be ready to go or is it likely that the rest of the tranny is junk also? The fluid looked ok when I drained it.

Does anyone have a link to a site that lists the overall lenght of the th350, th400, and 700R4 with the different tailshaft housing lenghts from 2 wheel drive vehicles?

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yep the converters will interchange, one difference is the stall speed and some of the newer th400 converters had metric bolts.

the small shaft in the big shaft is the input shaft. the thing in front with all the bolts is the pump, after that is a drum that has the band, then is the drum with the input shaft, the problem would be in there some where near that point.

here is the link
    http://www.tciauto.com/tech_info/trans_dims.htm /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

Thanks, great link, just what I was looking for /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif