Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automatic Transmission Rebuild

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cocky, Jan 9, 2002.

1. cocky

cocky Registered Member

I haven't visited the board in a few years since I sold my 1970 Blazer but, now my Mom's truck is having trouble with the transmission so I'm back for some information.

The truck is a 1989 3/4 ton chevy pickup. It has a 5.7 liter v8 with an automatic tranny. It won't shift out of 1st. My Mom took it in to two tranny shops and both said the transmission needed to be rebuilt.

My question is should I attempt this myself? I have never rebuilt a transmission before but am fairly mechanically inclined. I searched the archives and got some info but am still kind of confused. Some people said it was easy but, others said the 700r4 (4L60E) hard while the th350 and th400 were easy. I would definitely get a book from the Automatic Transmission Service Group, but will this be sufficient for a first timer?

Also what about special tools? I'm sure my Mom will buy any tool required if I am able to do this and save her the 1000 to 1500 she was quoted to get it rebuilt. However, what tools do I need and, where can I get them?

Any opinions or information will be greatly appreciated.

2. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I have rebuilt a few automatic transmissions myself and they can be "difficult" to work on if you aren't familiar with what's involved. I wouldn't have wanted to do the first one without having help from someone with a little experience. there are a lot of parts in them and they must be put back together in the proper order and position, pay very close attention when disassembling it. get everything clean and use clean ATF when reassembling it, look at everything(this is where experience helps) a small defect can cause you to be pulling this back out and doing it again.

'95 Chevy Silverado 1500
    5.7 V8-NV4500- 3.73 rears
    See My Toys: <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454>http://community.webshots.com/user/wdb172454</a>