Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automer Guages in stock cluster.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Itali83, Jun 25, 2001.

1. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I've heard of people putting autometer guages in stock clusters. Does anyone have pics of that, how they mounted them in there, and any helpful tips on installation. I want to do it soon to get rid of my junk factory guages. Thanks.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

my buddy has it done in his truck, i will see if i can get a pic of it. it looks AWSOME!!

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

3. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Check this out:

http://www.off-road.com/chevy

4. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

That cluster looks awesome!!

I was thinking about replacing my stock (non-functioning) guages. After reading the article, I've decided...that it looks like too big of a job. For now.

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

5. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I did vdo gauges in the stock bevels... 2 1/6 " with 4" big ones.

http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/dash-dark.jpg
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/dash-back.jpg>http://www.vtengineering.com/ck5/dash-back.jpg</A>

I would assume doing the auto-meters would be pretty much the same. If you decide to do the vdo gauges I have a parts list with prices from summit later back. do a search for VDO about 3 months back.

[​IMG] <font color=blue> Jeff </font color=blue> [​IMG]

6. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, any more info will help! Definitly gonna take some ingenuity, but I think I'm up to it.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

7. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

These are pics of my 87 K5 dash with Autometer gauges & lights

http://www.fototime.com/45A93DC0FFA8E5F/standard.jpg

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

8. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Sweet Sparky. Are those the guage pod shims or whatever they are called that I see behind the guages?? if you don't use them, do they come out at funky angles withoutht eh shims? I planned to put the guages through the dash like you did so I can use the normal mounting hardware that come with the guages. If you could tell me about those rings and any helpful tips I would love it! Thanks a Million everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy

9. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

The angled pods for the 5 2 1/8" gauges are stock Autometer part #s for angle mounting gauges. They come in packages of 3 & very inexpensive. The ones for the tach & speedo are PVC schedule 40 pipe cut to exact angles as small gauges. Everything is mounted to alluminum plate, cut & fitted to stock dash bezel. I mounted red oil pressure & amber water temp lights near their respective gauges, a blue high beam, red brake light & amber turn signals in center area & put my fuel gauge between tach & speedo. Without angle mounting gauges, it's hard to see them correctly. Everything was prewired and made into a harness from each respective mounting plate, then connected to a terminal block assembly that I installed to connect all dash wiring. I can pull each plate out about 18" and work on gauges if needed. Speedo/Tach plate comes out just far enough to disconnect speedo and then can be pulled out an additional 14" to work on gauges. I have my MSD remote timing controls mounted next to head light switch and driving/fog/backup light switches mounted in a panel where radio used to be. Stereo is mounted in Tuffy security console. Everything has worked out well and I enjoy the fact that all parts are easy to purchase should repairs be needed.

87 K5, D60 & 14FF, 5 sp & NP208 & 383 stroker. Build it Bulletproof and take it fishing!

10. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Sweet, I'm gonna get the guage anglers too, I was looking at the dash and I think they would come out at a weird angle so I'll go that route. I'm going all mechanical so not much wiring, just for the lights. I'm gonna try to use just the factory plactic bezel with no pieces of metal, but we'll see what happens. Thanks again, you were a ton of Help Sparky!!!!!!!!
    Ben 87 Jimmy. I'll post pics when I'm done.

11. solowookie

hey,

I did my VDO's, but I've gotta second K5 that i'm getting in a few weeks. I love my gauges, but I'm not sure I liked using the factory bezels. I tried using your links to see your setup, but was unable to get the links to come up.

would really appriate seeing some detail pictures.

12. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

Shawn - Thanks for the link! Those have to be the nicest set of gauges I've ever seen in a K5. The other links were good too, but I want to do the Autometers. BTW - who's Mike? and do you have any other pics of his K5?

13. solowookie

I thought you were the one that had posted these on a post earlier... and you were the one I was thinking of.

that gauge setup is pretty nice and clean! nice job.