Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autometer bulb covers

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k20, Sep 18, 2005.

1. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Does anyone know if the autometer bulb covers will fit the stock dash light bulbs, I believe they are 168's? If they do, does anyone know off hand, how many bulbs would be in a non-tach, non-clock, dash? Thanks guys, plan is, if they fit, Im going to add blue covers to my bulbs, and when I add extra gauges (maybe by the time I get $$, those a-pillar pods will be out), Ill add those autometer C2 gauges. Thanks for any help. Chris

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

And you call me a ricer? :p: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

3. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

your owner's manual will tell you how many are in there if you have it

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

haha shut up baber.

I dont have the owners manual either :crazy:

5. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

Don't be a tight wad :haha: :haha: Go buy some colored bulbs or better yet LEDs, the autometer condoms fade too fast.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I aint never seen colored 168s. And ive heard that the replacement LEDs, the ones that plug into the factory plugs dont provide good light, because they basically send out a light beam instead of a halo of light.

7. jeeptuff

jeeptuff 1/2 ton status

They make a convex type LED that rather than a "projection" type beam, it spreads it into a "wide" beam..

8. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, they make some colored ones. I'm not sure how many color options they have, (I think I have seen a few colors in the bulb section) but amber is one because of it's use in parking lights. I also know they have them because the PO of my 89 must have put one in the T-case selection cover.. or whatever you would call it. When it lights up w/ the lights, it's amber. :rolleyes: Hey, as long as it lights up, I guess it's good enough. :p:

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok, if I was to put the wedge style LED's in the factory plugs, would I have to make all the modifications with resistors and other electrical crap, like with some of the LED conversion how-to's, or would it be a plug & play deal? In one LED conversion write-up I have seen, they didnt use the factory plugs, and had to do alot of custom wiring with resistors and the like. Also had to add another dial, for lack of a better term, to control the brightness of the LED's, the factory one could only provide an on-off for them.

Thanks for any help guys.

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I'm a little confused on this as well.

Looking athttp://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm (scroll down to the 194's) it states that they have resistors and diodes. They talk about reverse polarity protection, but I thought the resistor was what you needed with an LED in an incandescent location anyways??