Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

autometer?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DesertDueler, Dec 8, 2001.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am atempting to put an autometer mechanical water temp gauge in the burb, but the problem is that the adapter they give you doesnt fit in the head. Which one do I need? I didnt run into this problem on the Jimmy, but the burb has centerbolt valve cover heads.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I have Vortec heads on my K5 with the centerbolt valve covers of course. I also use an Autometer mechanical temp gauge. Mine just screwed into the intake manifold...right by the water neck.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just did this, they make an autometer adapter, or you can just get the tread size of the sending unit and the thread size of the head, go to a pipe and fitting store and buy the fitting for next to nothing, thats what I did.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

4. DesertDueler

Thats what I figured, would you happen to know the sizes off hand? I need to get it done here soon. On the TBI motors you have to put it in the head because the one on the intake is for the CPU.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&33"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

5. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

well, it tells you the size of the sender in the directions, then what I did was take the electric sending unit out of the head, bring that to the store and say, I need a reducer that goes from this size(the sending unit that is attached to the wire on the guage) to this size,( the orig electric sending unit size).
    I hope this makes sense to you. Good luck.
    Ben 87 Jimmy

6. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Buy a thermostat housing for an older chevy cars with a 350. They had a sensor in them and the thread matches what comes with the gauges. I think I used one for a 1975 nova.

7. DesertDueler

Yea it makes sense, but I just didnt want to pull the sending unit out, without putting the new one right back in sinse it makes a mess at home. I guess I will do it at work tomorow.