Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Automotive engine as an air compressor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Nike, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Nike

Nike Registered Member

Saw an air compressor the other day that is used to run jackhammers, and it was what appeared to be a Ford V8 engine. It used the left bank of cylinders to run and the right bank to pump air. Also heard of guys using a Volkswagon engine to do this (2 cylinders to run and 2 to pump). Anybody ever make a project like this from an old engine sitting around? I was just thinking something like that would sure run my sandblaster better than my 2 HP Sears.

2. They did something similar on junkyard wars. If I remember correctly, What they did was connect two engines together, one running as a normal engine and the other as the compressor. I think your idea would also work.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have rebuilt several of those Ford half engine/half compressor engines. It is a normal engine up to the point of the compressor side head. The only thing special needed to do to the bottom end is to plug the oil galley going to the compressor side of the engine since there are no lifters there and that would create an enormous oil pressure loss if not plugged.

4. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I knew a guy that used to use two Briggs and Stratton motors as a compressor. He drove the "compressor" engine at twice the RPM of the driving motor. It seemed to work pretty well but I only saw him run regular air tools off it.

I've also heard of people using the old air-cooled Volkswagen engines for compressors. It makes sense since my Dad's sandrail still has enough guts to lift the front tires off the ground when one cylinder is dead. Parts are cheap too. Block for $140.

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

We use a lindsay 125q air compressor for our sandblasting and it is a chrysler 318 block one side with a normal motor head and the other with a special air compressor head. The only problem is the air comes out hot, damn hot. Much hotter than the gardner denver we used to have that ran off belts (though it still had a radiator for the compressor). Problem with hot air is it holds in moisture. This is a bad thing for samdblasting as once the air reaches cooler pipes it condenses the water clogging the nozzle. In order to combat this an aftercooler is needed. I personally would rather run a compressor separate from the motor but with a solid connection, like a driveshaft, rather than belts. Would also rather run diesel than gas.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have heard that for VW motors all that is needed is a special cam to make it a 2 cyl motor / 2 cyl compressor...might be cool to find out if such a thing exists.

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Nike,

I haven't heard much from you in a while and you go and post a wild creation such as this! Sounds like a neat idea and a real head turner. Maybe thats what I should do with my Dad's old 392 Hemi. It would be kinda cool to add an 8.71 and Enderlie Fuel Injection to the mix!

Give me a call sometime and let me know your progress on the K5!

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

SOme of the oil patch drilling mud trucks around these parts use a BBC with special heads to pump the mud. They are driven by a hyd motor.

"VolksAir" is the company that makes the VW conversion kits. Contact (lifted from a posting): Dunn-Right Inc.
    3672 Abbeville Hwy.
    Anderson, SC 29624
    864-296-9316
    No page known.

9. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I think it was unimog that had an engine that used one of its cylinders to pump air. I beleave it was a strait 7 with it only firing on the front 6.