Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Autoxray upgrade?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy88, Dec 18, 2003.

1. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Anyone upgrade to that new model? Is it worth the extra $100?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

What is it?

3. cegusman

cegusman 3/4 ton status

What are you talking about? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

have you done a search on here? Can't remember if it was CK5 or somewhere else, but someone had mentioned it.

I have an "old" XP240, and they told me it can't be upgraded. Just depends on how old it is I guess.

5. jimmy88

jimmy88 1/2 ton status

Sorry, Autoxray is a computer scanner. I have the EZlink (I think thats the model) and they have sent an upgrade offer for CAN protocol. I can pay to upgrade my ezlink and for an extra $100 I can send my old one back and get the newest model with 8 lines of text, bla, bla, bla.

Just wondering if its worth the extra $$$ for the new one. Did a search and now wonder if I should just sell the one I have, get a dirt cheap used laptop and go the WinADL route /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    With a different cable does the winADL work with OBD 2?

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Pretty sure winALDL doesn't work with OBD2. To be honest, I'm not sure if there is anything out there "free" like winALDL for OBD2. Seems to be MUCH less support for OBD2 stuff.

If you HAVE to read OBD2, I guess a scanner is pretty much a necessity. But if you think you'll stick with OBD1, a laptop is a better route than a scanner, although a scanner is pretty nice. Just not as good. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I say go the cheap laptop route, and build the cable for yourself. I've built the cable, as soon as my truck is running, I'm going to test it out. Worst part is finding a cheap laptop, but AFAIK winALDL will work with win95, so you could get a 486 and still have it work. A P90 laptop shouldn't cost much at all anymore.